subdecay liquid sunshine

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheFlash, Mar 14, 2006.

1. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I purchased this on a whim because it's set up different than a standard overdrive pedal. I'm going to be receiving it today, and I was wondering if any of you use it regularly and what type of settings have you gotten the most play out of?

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I cant remember what settings I used, I remember the tone controls were very inventive. So what did you find out worked for you?

3. Wooley

Wooley Member

Can't wait to hear about it, I'm VERY interested in that little box.

4. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

Ok, I've been fooling around with this little box for 2 days now, and played in a band setting last night with it. I ran it before a miaudio blues pro into a peavy classic 30 set clean (stock everything) with a yamaha magicstomp (modulation effects) and a dd-20 in the effects loop. I'm currently playing an epiphone les paul custom guitar.

This is a very low gain pedal. For those of you who don't know about the unique controls, it has a volume and 2 gain controls...and no tone control. The top gain control sets a full spectrum gain setting, and the lower gain control adds gain to the mids and highs only. This gain knob didn't seem to change the tone much in the first half of it's sweep. I really only started noticing the added mids/highs when it was set past noon. After briefly fiddling, I had my volume at noon, the top gain at 11, and the bottom gain at 2:30.

First of all, the name "liquid sunshine" is EXTREMELY accurate. When playing single notes, it gives the notes a very liquid quality. Even with the gain set higher, it's hard to call the resulting sound "dirt" or "grit" or "hair" because it's so smooth. Usually I never play the bridge humbucker with the tone all the way up on my guitar because it's a little too shrill, but with the LS engaged, the notes are so smooth that when I wanted to hear some bite, I had to turn the tone knob all the way up. This box is very responsive to all of my guitar controls. The pickups definitely retained their unique voices and my sound cleaned way up when I rolled back the volume. I played the entire set last night with the LS on and played with the guitar's volume to set the amount of "smooth dirt" i wanted. My bipassed clean tone sounded thin when I turned this box off.

I'm going to be experimenting a lot with this pedal in the next few days. It's very sophisticated and sounds different from anything I've tried before. There are two trim pots inside and the manual seems to have cut off the paragraph explaining what they control, so I'll have to find out what they do. At their present settings, there doesn't seem to be a huge range of different sounds you can dial in.

This pedal would be PERFECT for some of you, and others might find it frustrating because of the lack of gain and the lack of versitility. I need more time with it before I make a verdict for me.

5. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I prefer having the top gain knob up higher and set the bottom gain (mids and highs) up between 10:00 and noon to dial in the level of cut I want.

I also like to use it as a cleanish boost by cranking the volume and setting the gain knobs at about 9:00 each. Full sounding. And transparent.

Great pedal.

6. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

Try setting the top gain to noon and cranking the bottom gain all the way.

Excellent!

7. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

Either of you two mess around with the 2 internal trim pots? What do they do?

8. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Bias the pedal properly... Don't touch! :p I love my Liquid Sunshine the knobs on the top are plenty enough control.

9. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

I will have to take a look at the instructions I have been printing up to see if i accidentally deleted something.

The Trim pots do indeed bias the two gain stages. There are some notes about it on the website if you want more info, or if you want details, feel free to email me.

Oh, and im glad you dig it.

10. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

Yah, it looks like part of the instructions just stop mid-paragraph, and there is nothing explaining the trim pots, so an accidental deletion might be the cause. I'll look up info on the site tonight.

11. drolling

drolling Member

That sounds like something I could dig. My current favorite pedals can be set in ways that are so subtle, nobody even knows they're on- stuff like the SeaBlue EQ, the MorningDew buffer/EQ and the Diamond compressor come to mind.

When you've got a really great guitar & a fantastic amp, you don't need sledgehammer effects to wring that last drop of goodness out of your rig.

So how would Liquid Sunshine compare to Timmy?