1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Subdecay Quasar Phaser

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JohnLutz, Aug 24, 2005.

1. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

Has anyone tried the new Subdecay phaser?

How does it compare to the following:

Red Witch
    Small Stone
    Mojo Vibe

2. eknapier

eknapier Member

are there any soundclips up anywhere?

3. muddy

muddy Member

4. eknapier

eknapier Member

Anyone tried this thing out yet? reviews? looks great, highly tweekable, and soundclips are somewhere between a mutron biphase and a small stone.

Someone please, I'm dying to hear something about this pedal!!! I can't even find a review on Harmony Central.

5. eknapier

eknapier Member

bump once more in search of comments or reviews.....

6. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

7. telemonk

telemonk Member

I got one!:cool: Unfortunealy it arrived just before I went on vacation and I didn't have time to mess with it much. I'll be back home next week; I'll bump this after I practice with it tuesday..

8. iualum

iualum Member

9. iualum

iualum Member

It's been a long time since the last bump. Anybody with more comments on the Quasar?

10. D.G.

D.G. Member

tick - tick - tick - tick - tick

Drove me nuts. The phase itself is far subtler sounding than you might think. I prefer a phase 90 type thickness, so YMMV.

11. telemonk

telemonk Member

I sold mine fairly quickly. I was disappointed. I thought it was fairly thin sounding and it didn't cut well with a band. I loved the analogue filter and liquid sunshine but this one didn't do much for me....

12. b_rad

b_rad Member

Just an FYI, Brian made a few changes after the first handful of units. I don't think the issues mentioned are problems on new units.

13. iualum

iualum Member

So...maybe best to just go with an Analogman modded Small Stone? That's what I'm thinkin' anyhow.

14. eknapier

eknapier Member

i tried the quasar and was a little disappointed too, not full and strong enough. I'm now thinking about analog man small stone too, but I'm also interested in the Pigtronix - I'm just worried it will be too much like the vibe that I already have. Choices, choices...

15. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

To me there are at least three kinds of phasers:

1) Chewy classic ala MXR - I use a Red Witch for this class of sound. Shannon is nice. Sobbat is nice. Red Witch sounds best to me.

2) Vibe - Lovepedal, Jackson, and Fulltone don't sound as deep or rich to me as the Mojovibe. Sobbat isn't billed as a vibe but it can get close. Red Witch can fake it too but it's better at #1.

3) Resonant howling wind ala Small Stone - I haven't found anything besides EHX that does this. I would really like to know if there's a botique small stone out there.

John

16. telemonk

telemonk Member

I dig the Rastop a lot. It does a great univibe, a great vibrato and has a switch which engages a quasi autowah deal which acts like the color switch on the small stone. (Howlin' wind.) It doesn't do the MXR type sound obviously. But the autowah type sound makes it more versatile to me then the mojo, deja etc type pedals. I was pretty underwhelmed by the Pigtronix to. The filter sounded great but I found it hard to switch between that and a vibe sound on the fly which is what I was looking for it to do. The Moog is a great pedal but it did more then I would ever use...The simplicity of the Rastop with the added auto wah function (which is a mod he does; it's not stock) made it more sensible for me. The vibe on it sounds great to. I'd say the mojo is warmer and the rastop is brighter. They both sound great; slightly different. I actually preferred the brighter Rastop but that would depend on your setup; I could live with either...

I like John's breakdown....

17. jlearman

jlearman Member

I agree with Jon's breakdown as well.

I think the Quasar is very flexible and sits right in the middle of class 1 (MXR), and the EHX small stone. I've got a quasar and a small stone, and I've tried as best as I can to get the Quasar to sound like the small stone, but it doesn't quite get there. I think it can do the MXR stuff pretty well, but I can see how some find it a little thin sounding.

With my EHX ss, I find it hard to cut through the mix w/ my band...I don't have this problem w/ the quasar.

Anyay...I've got one on the block right here:

buy/sell: Subdecay Quasar