• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Subdecay Vagabond - Could you be the one?

edwardz

I am and I love the thing. The perfect trem pedal! I've only had a few but this has all I want. I think it sounds warmer and more authentic than the Flint. Speed and intensity have a nice wide range and smooth taper, the volume control is very useful and the envelope drift is unique and fun to mess around with. The bias trem is very good, as good or better than the Flint or the Voodoo Labs I have, and the harmonic trem is really amazing especially through an amp with good low end. I've got it early in the chain (before dirt) which is recommended for using dirt with the harmonic trem, but I mostly run it clean or with a Timmy. If I used trem alot or needed tap tempo, different waves, divisions etc it's obviously not the right choice but for a simple, great sounding and compact all analog pedal it's awesome, I'd go for it I doubt you'll be disappointed. Small, solid, TB, USA made, runs at 18v, perfect for me. It's sandwiched on my board between a Retrosonic Phaser v2 and Flanger, I'm in modulation heaven!
Got the Vagabond today. Sounds great! One thing I do notice though is the tone is slightly thinner in harmonic mode than in bias. Is this normal?

Never noticed that with the Flint.

edwardz

Got the Vagabond today. Sounds great! One thing I do notice though is the tone is slightly thinner in harmonic mode than in bias. Is this normal?

Tested the Vagabond extensively over the weekend. Running at 12-18 volts didn’t help. Contacted Brian at Subdecay. He checked out some other Vagabonds from the same batch and found a resistor problem. He’s shipping me a replacement pedal today.

Great customer service! Just bought a Super Spring Theory I’ve been thinking about from him.

meterman

I didn't notice anything drastic but yes the harmonic mode is a bit more mid-focused than the bias mode to my ear, sounds alot like a Univibe. Sounds like maybe yours had an issue, be curious to see what you think of the new one!

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
I got a Vagabond earlier this week. I LOVE IT!!! I got it especially for the Envelope Drift feature and it is just so fun. It is mesmerizing too. I can sit there for hours and just strum simple chords for ages and not get bored.

I had planned for this to replace my Lovepedal Tremelo pedal but there is one setting I use for a specific effect on the Lovepedal that the Vagabond just cant do so now I have two tremolo pedals which is strange because I have never been "a tremolo guy".

Anyway, LOVE the VAGABOND!

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member
I got a Vagabond earlier this week. I LOVE IT!!! I got it especially for the Envelope Drift feature and it is just so fun. It is mesmerizing too. I can sit there for hours and just strum simple chords for ages and not get bored.

I had planned for this to replace my Lovepedal Tremelo pedal but there is one setting I use for a specific effect on the Lovepedal that the Vagabond just cant do so now I have two tremolo pedals which is strange because I have never been "a tremolo guy".

Anyway, LOVE the VAGABOND!

Stack those tremolos together ....it's excellent, one standard slow and a harmonic a little faster

I've really been into tremolo lately, and the Subdecay Vagabond has caught my eye / ear. It seems like it offers a great mix of sound and options--bias, harmonic, envelope, etc.--in a simple, compact design. There aren't a ton of demos and reviews around though (I've seen everything on YouTube, etc.).

Have any of you had the chance to use the Vagabond? What did you think? How did the basic sound compare to other tremolos you've used (I've got a Fulltone Supatrem and a BA Throbby at the moment)? How well did it perform with drive or fuzz? Any quirks you noticed? I'd love to hear some user experiences and opinions.
I can't comment on the Vagabond itself since I haven't tried it, but Subdecay is probably my all-time favorite effects company and gets the most real estate by far on my pedalboard. I have the Quasar Phaser, Starlight Flanger, Echobox Delay, Super Spring Theory Reverb, and the Buster Jangle (apparently one of the rarest pedals out there with <30 made...it's a combo of the Subdecay Liquid Sunshine Overdrive and the Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso Boost).

I have no doubt the Vagabond is a killer pedal too, far as I'm concerned this company can do no wrong :).

Edit: oops just noticed this was a thread from 2018 that was bumped up. Whatever, point still stands!

meterman

Stack those tremolos together ....it's excellent, one standard slow and a harmonic a little faster
I used to stack a bias trem (VL) and a Phase 90 together to get a poor man's Univibe effect. The trem gave the thump and the Phase 90 gave the swirl, it was fairly convincing actually.

meterman

I can't comment on the Vagabond itself since I haven't tried it, but Subdecay is probably my all-time favorite effects company and gets the most real estate by far on my pedalboard. I have the Quasar Phaser, Starlight Flanger, Echobox Delay, Super Spring Theory Reverb, and the Buster Jangle (apparently one of the rarest pedals out there with <30 made...it's a combo of the Subdecay Liquid Sunshine Overdrive and the Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso Boost).

I have no doubt the Vagabond is a killer pedal too, far as I'm concerned this company can do no wrong :).

Edit: oops just noticed this was a thread from 2018 that was bumped up. Whatever, point still stands!
Looks like they have some really cool and unique pedals! Based on the Vagabond I wouldn't hesitate to try any of their stuff

aaronjcurtis

Tested the Vagabond extensively over the weekend. Running at 12-18 volts didn’t help. Contacted Brian at Subdecay. He checked out some other Vagabonds from the same batch and found a resistor problem. He’s shipping me a replacement pedal today.

Great customer service! Just bought a Super Spring Theory I’ve been thinking about from him.
Where did you buy it from? Looking at ordering one from a dealer with stock at the moment. Thanks!

Trending Topics