Substitute for an Emi Texas Heat

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Paul Conway, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Just got a Texas Heat for my Traynor ycv40. Better than the stock (solved the 'thin sound' problem), but is a bit too fat, too 'compressed sounding', not enough clarity. I feel I need to be able to hear the string windings a bit more. Has anyone else found this, and do you have a suggestion for an alternative?

2. mkg

mkg Member

Paul, how much playing time do you have on the speaker? I've got one in my Allen Hot Fudge w/Nuts and it took a good 20 hours of pt before the speaker really opened up.

3. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Probably not enough! Less than that, I guess. At the moment, the only way I can get that 'neck single coil Texas blues' tone is by cranking the treble on the guitar, which makes the treble strings way too bright.

4. mkg

mkg Member

In that case I'd suggest you pound that sucker at loud volume for as long as you can stand it. Stick a pillow in front of the amp or wear ear plugs if you have to.
    You should notice quite a difference once it breaks in.

5. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Time to make friends with the neighbours, methinks.........

6. janek

janek Member

Hello . how is your speaker? I`m breaking my new 2 TH in Mesa 2X12 oversised .Really they are still dark and too compressed after +_ 8 hours of loud playing ....

7. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Still a bit dark, if you ask me - even with a tele. There is a brittle high end at the very top, but it's not particularly balanced. May go with the RWB.

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

9. janek

janek Member

F...k! i hate sizzling highs ! I`m destroying this speakers everytime ( 4th day) so i hope they will be clear in highs , i had the same problem with Cannabis Rex but now it is perfect speaker ( with its limits of course but clear sounding) You never know with speakers until you check them ....Maybe your amp has too brittle tubes ( sorry , i`ve just retubed my Hiwatt and there are any ice-picky frequencies now...)
    regards

10. janek

janek Member

i bought 2 Texas Heats instead of 2 tonkers after reading ALL posts at The Gear Page and Plexi Palace so don`t say that Tonker could been better choice :)

11. janek

janek Member

i bought 2 Texas Heats instead of 2 tonkers after reading ALL posts about these speakers at The Gear Page and Plexi Palace so don`t say that Tonker could been better choice :)

12. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I heard you the first time! :)

13. janek

janek Member

Another 5 hours of pumping watts into Texas Heats and nothing has changed.Sizzle ! I`m selling these speakers.

14. Seegs

Seegs Member

I have a TH as well and found it to be too boomy with a hard brittle top end...I beat the crap out of it and it didn't change much...stuck a RW&B in there and problem solved...great speaker that takes pedals really well..

for early breakup you can't beat a Governor but if you need tight bass and articulate headroom the RW&B is a tough out...

ps I also play teles...sound familiar?

Chow,
    Seegs

15. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

I'm not an expert, but just want to throw this out there. I bought a cab used with well broken in TH's and they turned into my fav speaker. Nice tight bass no harshness on the highs. Every amp I have sounds better through that cab to my ears. But that brings us to tone is a personal thing I guess. But I have to stand up for the Heats, I love em, know for a fact though that they are well brokein in. Getting a new indentical cab soon and I'll compare new to broken in, maybe that is the difference.

16. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

I just picked up this speaker this week. I put it in a 2x12 vertical cab where the top half can be open or closed back.

I replaced a V30 with this Texas Heat. Perhaps because I'm comparing to a V30, but "Sizzle" is NOT how I would describe this speaker. I actually was hoping for a hair more bite! To me the high end is smooth and somewhat refined sounding. Lots of bass in this puppy!

I'm hoping it does open up a little bit with playing.

Also noteworthy: I did NOT like the speaker at ALL with the back closed. Open though I LOVE it so far (Sans a little extra detail I would like). The back closed made it hard sounding. The V30 didn't seem to care as much but I preferred closed for that one.

17. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

You know, you've pretty much talked me into it. Originally I was going for a RWB, but they didn't have one in stock. MUST LEARN TO BE PATIENT!