Substitute speakers

Clive

I am in a Blues club and we have a rule that if any damage occurs to someone's gear while it is being used by the club we will get it fixed.
On Saturday a speaker was blown in a bass cabinet, no arguement about that at all, I know it was fine at the start and shot at the finish.
We will endeavour to replace with the same but my question is - if a speaker is a different brand to the rest in the cabinet, as long as it is same ohms and wattage can it be installed without damge to it or the other speakers.
Thanks
Clive

hank57

Platinum Supporting Member
Why not recone the dead speaker?

Yes, and well there is a great difference in quality from X to Y in speaker world. So buying the right speaker can mean getting the same ohms and wattage but there are some speakers that will change the character of gear and so getting the same speaker is preferred. Or at least something that has most of all the same parameters like magnet weight, type of voice coil, diameter of voice coil, efficiency (i.e. the db rating rating).

BTW that speaker died that night, but is was used for a long time before that. Why would you replace a speaker if it was being used in the normal way? If you abused it I would understand. But a speaker has moving parts that break down over time.

Clive

Why not recone the dead speaker?

Yes, and well there is a great difference in quality from X to Y in speaker world. So buying the right speaker can mean getting the same ohms and wattage but there are some speakers that will change the character of gear and so getting the same speaker is preferred. Or at least something that has most of all the same parameters like magnet weight, type of voice coil, diameter of voice coil, efficiency (i.e. the db rating rating).

BTW that speaker died that night, but is was used for a long time before that. Why would you replace a speaker if it was being used in the normal way? If you abused it I would understand. But a speaker has moving parts that break down over time.
I agree it was going to fail anyway but this is a club policy that we have agreed on because we rely on people's generosity to provide a backline on jam nights.
Being in Western Australia it will be cheaper to buy a new speaker direct from the USA and pay the freight than get the old one reconed. If possible we will replace with the same but I wanted to know in case we can't.

hank57

Platinum Supporting Member
Sometimes there are pretty generic replacements that are very good. At Avatar http://www.avatarspeakers.com in the specials and overstock section they have some drivers for bass guitar amps that are at the best prices you could ask for. Once you know what you need I'd email them and ask for their opinion for a replacement.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
The easy answer is yes, but it may not sound the same. Ideally you'd want something that was close in efficiency and with a similar frequency response curve too.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Post the speaker once you find out. Probably not a big deal, you should be able to find something the same or close that will make everyone happy. Bass speaker preferences aren't as crazy as what you see in the guitar world. Specific breakup isn't a requirement ... just clean, high power and a reasonable response curve and you're good to go IMHO. If you can find a used EV out of a PA, will probably sound better than the original and never blow again.

ugameus

Lorantz speakers makes 10, 12 and 15 inch bass speakers. They are in based in Australia. Try the Melbourne Music Center.