• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

"Subterranean Homesick Alien"

ChrisMo70

Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead famously uses the DOD 440 Envelope filter pedal for certain signature sounds. It provides a creepy sweeping effect on "Subterranean Homesick Alien", among others. I've seen the 440 pop on ebay for $200+ Just curious if any companies making a clone of this pedal, or one that can nail that sound? Or is the DOD sort of a unique piece?

jcoriha

The Homesick Alien sweeping effect is his Small Stone phaser, combined with a Space Echo, and a Whammy for the pitch effects, not the 440. The 440 is used on Lucky (filtered tremolo parts), and Paranoid Android (live, the studio was the Mutator)

Coldacre

Just curious if any companies making a clone of this pedal, or one that can nail that sound? Or is the DOD sort of a unique piece?
BYOC Envelope Filter, clone of the 440. I've had one for years, nails all the Greenwood stuff.

Coldacre

The Homesick Alien sweeping effect is his Small Stone phaser, combined with a Space Echo, and a Whammy for the pitch effects, not the 440.
I reckon you're wrong mate, I don't hear any phaser. I'm positive he's using the 440 for those Whammy parts. you can hear the filter on some of those notes. when you pitch shift and use the 440 you don't get anywhere near the full range of the sweep you just get a more hardened attack on the note.

ZepFuzz05

Amazing tune. I also assumed, as Coldacre explained, that he was simply pitch shifting his signal, then running into the Small Stone with a slow sweep, and then putting echo on the tail end of that. God I love Jonny Greenwood.

Coldacre

I also assumed, as Coldacre explained, that he was simply pitch shifting his signal, then running into the Small Stone with a slow sweep, and then putting echo on the tail end of that.
I obviously didn't explain it very well :jo

Coldacre

the washes of reverb during the "uptight" section. he's got the best job in the world that bloke.

ZepFuzz05

I obviously didn't explain it very well :jo
Haha, sorry, I'm a total dork and totally misread your post. However, I do seem to hear slow, deep phase shifting more prominently than I hear 440 in Jonny's part. I might be wrong, though. . .

. . .I had to use the lame pun. Couldn't resist.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom