• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Subtle rythm-player ?

vhollund

I'm curius if any of you come close to playing this kind of (awesome) rythm guitar
I've been working on getting closer to that fine precision and fluidity for quite some years.
:phones

I KNOW it's not the usual blues-feel jazz-nazi thing but ...hey I just like the great playing regardless of style.

The bear

That's some tasteful R&B guitar work, now if he had only added some Coltrane changes it would have taken it over the top.

vhollund

I admit that fused coltrane-disco style is yet to be invented,
But I'm working on it :)

Maybe Steely Dan come closest ?

Btw I just recorded groove bass on a Frifot song in 9/8 , do you know that folk-band ...from Sweden ?

vhollund

Here you go :

Steve Khan , Hugh McKracken i think

And legends Paul Jackson Jr , Dean Parks

vhollund

He is a monster player. I've been serious a fan of PJ for +15 years , and I've got the DVD.;)
There are some recent session videos out on YT with Colbertson and some from Realityvideo /xotics

Too bad you never see the songs they play during commercials on the Tonight Show

Last edited:
I admit that fused coltrane-disco style is yet to be invented,
But I'm working on it :)

Maybe Steely Dan come closest ?
Or Bruce Hornsby. He wrote in some challenging changes for Pat Metheny's outtro solo in the title track of this album:

https://myspace.com/brucehornsby/music/album/harbor-lights-8028289

Metheny is actually a very good rhythm guitarist, but a 2nd guitarist is credited for that track - presumably Metheny was asked to only record the solos and fills.

vhollund

Yes ok, i see. A little too washed out in the mix for my taste tho
but well It doesn't HAVE to be complicated to be good either :) ...or it is not necessarily good because it is complexe
Personally I think it's a great song (op) by Level 42
And some good gospel/soul /nu soul chords is more up my alley than weather report inspired 80's fusion. It's the soul element that hits me right

A great rhythm guitarist who passed this year is Jeff Lee Johnson , who played very original rythm stuff for e.o. George Duke and Esperanza Spalding

Last edited:

Trending Topics