Subway Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Captain Midnite, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Captain Midnite

Captain Midnite Member

2. 6789

6789 Member

before you spend too much time thinking about it. you should call fatdawg and ask if he even has the guitar you are looking at. the photos on his website tend to be old and not up to date. I called him and he had the guitar I wanted sitting in his barn. It took a couple months, but he found a neck for it, cleaned it up and wired it together for me.

3. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

A guy in my band loves his P90 tele custom. It has a neck on it that is over 1" I think. The tone is mean! And I mean mean!

4. getbent

getbent Member

I've played them before. They're cool. Follow Ted's advice... call the Dog!

if you can visit the store it is even better....

5. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Hope you catch him on a good day, he's hit or miss with customer service on the telephone. Ordered a guitar from him but the fretboard was separating from the neck. Fatdog called my tech a "Puss*" for not wanting to do the repair...I sent it back and didn't get it for 3 months later. Never again...

6. slider

slider Member

7. getbent

getbent Member

Sorry man! that is hilarious! Yeah, you are right if you aren't ready for an experience of the Dog kind... you best not head on in there... I like him and I like how wacky it all is... sorry you had to wait three months!

is your tech a Puss? ha ha ha!

8. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

No my tech is not a puss!...LOL He didn't fix it because he correctly asserted a legitmate dealer should warranty such a blatant defect.

I actually enjoyed dealing with Fatdog during the build process. He's very engaging until he's got your money...then you're a nuisance for bothering him with a guitar that's defective. Granted, these are old stock bodies and parts that he's throwing together but there should be some expecation that the fretboard won't separate from the neck. All's well that ends well but the road getting there was a mutha...

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Ummmm.....the web site says it was last updated April, 2006. No thanks.

10. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

I'm thinking about calling him to build a beat up LP Jr copy for me. As long as it plays well, I can't see the harm for a couple hundred bucks.

11. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

Yeah... I visited his store. He doesn't sell any complete vintage guitars. He takes a lot of cool vintage Harmonys, Silvertones, Danelectros and butchers them into a new concoction. But he hoards all of the vintage parts and pickups and replaces them with new bridges, necks, pickups, and tuners. He is a butcher and a hoarder and he is filthy rich. He made all of his money by selling tie dye teeshirts back in the San Fran hipppie hey days. He owns some prime land up in Sonoma with a ton of valuable guitars that he will not sell.