Successful musicians who can keep perfect time

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by LoopyBullet, May 31, 2015.

1. LoopyBullet

LoopyBullet Supporting Member

This is not just limited to guitarists, but I think this is a more guitar-centric question because, to me, guitarists (like myself) have a bad reputation for not having good time until really working on that weakness. I've been told that I have "good time," but I think people are tricked by the fact that I accentuate up/downbeats with attack, and make a real effort to "lock in" with others. Truth is, I definitely have nowhere close to perfect time when the true test of matching myself with a metronome comes into play. Not at all. It kind of sickens me, actually.

Al Di Meola comes to mind, because a center in time is really the basis of all of his playing. He's on the other end of the spectrum, but Jason Mraz is another person who struck me as having incredibly good time when he plays solo acoustic.

Anyway, two general questions:
    (1) Anyone have any other examples of those with either perfect time or close to perfect time?
    (2) Is time something you tend to think about often? Or anyone who has developed really good time?

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  2. Zingeroo

Zingeroo Member

Ringo Starr.
    Ringo has nearly perfect tempo. This allowed the Beatles to record a song 50 or 60 times, and then be able to edit together different parts of numerous takes of the same song for the best possible version. Today an electronic metronome is used for the same purpose, but the Beatles had to depend on Ringo to keep the tempo consistent throughout the dozens of takes of the songs that you know and love so well. Had he not had this ability, the Beatles recordings would sound completely different today.

custom53 likes this.
  3. Nordberg

Nordberg Member

Wayne Krantz and John JR Robinson are the first that spring to mind.

4. Allen in San Jose

Allen in San Jose Member

5. guitarstar2005

guitarstar2005 Member

Chick Corea
    Dennis Chambers...

Dimeola has hyper-accurate since of time. Something he picked up from Corea

6. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

Gordon Duncan, Jack Lee, and Ian Macey.

7. loudboy

loudboy Member

http://musicmachinery.com/2009/03/02/in-search-of-the-click-track/

Tempo variations in "Dizzy Miss Lizzy"...

[​IMG]

8. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

This is 100% correct. People downplayed Ringo's drumming for years, but the man did three fundamental things correctly:

He played time like a click track.

He played for the song at all times.

He made the music feel good.

That's exactly what a drummer should always do, and for that reason, I still think Ringo is the greatest rock drummer of all time. Take it from the drummer who wrote the book on 60's rock drummers; Ringo is the man.

9. DrumBob

I read over that click track analysis from loudboy and found it interesting. My response is, when you listen to "Dizzy Miss Lizzie," does it make your feet tap, and does the song feel good? If so, it's perfect, period.

No human is a machine...Thank God!

10. loudboy

loudboy Member

I agree, for rock and roll, click tracks are evil, but I think the OP was talking about being able to play a steady tempo?

I was doing a session with a drummer who could say - "This is 120" and play a beat. Started the click, and yup, it sure was. <g>

11. DrumBob

Yes, he was, as Ringo played "human steady tempo" that was amazing, IMO. I think you'd agree with that.

As a drummer, I worked with a click track in my basement for a long time to get my tempos spot-on. It was the '80's, and a LOT of music was being recorded with clicks. I was under pressure to recreate that machine-like feel. I had to work very hard at it, but it made my "human time" much, much better.

I had a recording engineer use a drum track I did last year on a demo session that I did as a click for someone else in his studio. I was truly happy to hear that.

12. deeohgee

deeohgee Member

There's a difference between keeping time and doing time!

Blix likes this.
  13. Turi

Turi Member

Didn't know any of that stuff about how amazing Ringos timing was.
    Brilliant.
    Mad props to him. That's insane.

14. Bogner

Bogner Member

I would not say Lars Ulrich...did I just say that?

15. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

If drummers are allowed then I will state Neil Peart. As close to perfect as can be.
    Although there really is no such thing as perfect that involves humans playing.

16. Belmont

Belmont Member

there go the silly humans again, thinking they're perfect.

Turi likes this.
  17. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

I don't know what the big deal is, I can play in perfect time. I can't tell you exactly what speed I'm playing but it's no problem keeping a steady beat. I actually play better than my Seth Thomas metronome. Started playing with it one day and thought I had slipped but checked and it was the metronome. I guess I wore it out or something, maybe I should go digital.

RRC

18. Paully1

Paully1 Member

Every time I pick up the guitar I turn on the Metronome.

19. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Really cool! Shows how musical Ringo is. Giving the chorus a push, pulling back the verse...

20. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

My son Ed. Sorry if this seems self serving, but taking off the "dad" hat and putting on the "musician" hat for a moment, he has always been one of my favorite drummers to play with because of his pocket. At U of Miami they called him the kid who swallowed a metronome at birth. I have a VHS tape of one of his rock classes. They were doing Communication Breakdown. The arrangement broke down into a reggae in the middle and eventually back to the original beat. The professor started a metronome at the beginning of the track without telling anybody and at the end of the recording about 15 minutes later, the song was dead on the metronome.

Since his two main gigs over almost 20 years have been multi platinum Vertical Horizon and classic rockers The Doobie Brothers, I think he's getting it right.