Such an amazing time to be learning guitar.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by rich2k4, Jan 17, 2015.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

The amount of information available through Youtube alone. I noticed youtube now added a speed feature for every video that allows you to slow down the video but keep the pitch. I've been going back to all the old 80's-90's instructional videos that are on youtube and utilizing this feature.

You can now learn basically anything, while watching the guitarist in slow motion to get all the picking mechanics, etc. There is really no excuse to not be able to improve as a guitarist with this technology available.

2. Ivo

Ivo Member

Yup. My nephew and niece, who both play, are already light years ahead of where I was at their age. Not to mention having access to amazing videogame/learning tools like Rocksmith. Pretty cool to see. :)

3. SixStringFiend

SixStringFiend Member

On the balance I think it's good, but there is something to be said for slogging things out the old-fashioned way. I believe it forces you to be more analytical about what your playing and how you're playing it.

4. jimipage

jimipage Member

How does Youtube let you slow down? (couldn't figure it out...)

5. Animalboy71

Animalboy71 Member

Ya, I want to know this as well?

6. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

Didnt know Youtube had that feature cool!
    I fell though that learning difficult lick at tempo without the aid of digitial manipulation improves someone ear/music brain more .
    Even it if comes out less than 100% accurate.imo

7. Sid

Sid Member

add &html5=1 at the end of a youtube link, then goto the settings under the video on the bottom right

8. 8raw

8raw Member

Do you think this helps people with their improvising?

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

From the first note from the first guitar EVER made, it's been an amazing time to be learning to play! I agree, lots of resources available now, but I think it's important to use your ears more than your eyes. Not that you can't. It's a focus thing.

10. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

The best thing to me is I can actually take online one on one lessons with some of the best guitar players in the WORLD. I searched for over a year trying to find a local teacher and came up extremely disappointed. Then I contacted a guy who I personally consider the absolute best Bluegrass guitarist and almost immediately started taking online lessons. Amazing.
    Also through Truefire I've been able to take lessons and get one on one feedback from great players like Brooks Robertson and Jason Loughlin. It's just plain awesome.
    Can you imagine 20 years ago being able to take lessons with someone like Danny Gatton?

11. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Well, 20 years ago, we did that too. The lesson is in the music! But ya, I get your point.

12. kidmo

kidmo Member

You can double the speed also, fun with PhilX vids:dude

13. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

I really wish we had the technology when I first starting playing guitar! I would not have been so intimidated trying to play EVH, Pass, etc, etc, etc.

14. bob-i

bob-i Member

I've been playing since the 60s. Back then the state of the art of guitar playing was no where near where it is today. Great players were there but access to them was so limited, records and poorly transcribed sheet music. Teachers typically used Mel Bay, Mickey
    Baker books, but none of the techniques used today.

I never even knew about hammer on's until I'd been playing 4-5 years and I accidentally hit a wrong note and then hit the right one. I thoughti invented something amazing. If you went to a show it was your only opportunity to watch someone's hands. I can remember sitting a foot from the TV watching midnight special or rock concert hoping to get a glance and the guitarist's hands. I think it took me a month to figure out the intro to Stairway.

Youtube alone has taught me more about technique than I learned in the first 30-40 years of playing. The only thing I dislike it the instructional vids where the instructor says "put your first finger on the A string 4th fret, second finger....". It's a video teaching a musician, show the position and use the note name.

I also dislike tabs, music notation has survived for hundreds of years because it works. Everyone who plays music should know notation.

15. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

16. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

When I talk to someone about playing/learning, the subject usually turns to the bevy of instructional material out there now (including YouTube) versus the crappy music store songbooks available when I started playing in 1977 in my teens. I took lessons for about a year back then and stopped.

Even with all the useful (online) tools out there, last September I started taking lessons again; a Berklee grad, working musician and a great guy. I find it VERY worthwhile, and taking lessons and doing "homework" instills a sense of discipline that might not otherwise be there. .....and as someone who has played golf since my teens, I figure if McIlroy, Woods and Mickelson can take lessons, why the heck can't I -

17. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Supporting Member

That sums it up for me, tooo.