1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

such thing as a dedicated MUTE pedal ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock Fella, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

no superfluous features, turn it on and silence, turn it off and back to playing volume ?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

You could use an A/B switch with nothing plugged into one side of it.

3. aquadog

aquadog Member

Sorry to be facetious, but I'm curious as to why you would want this when you could just roll off you volume. And if its noise you also don't want, you could just hit that isp noice decimator. That way, you'd be saving pedalboard and signal space.

Otherwise, the a/b box sounds like it would work.

4. somedude

somedude Member

www.loooper.com

They do custom stuff like that....and it'll probably be cheap too.

5. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

My Boss TU-2 Tuner also functions as a mute (but you probably already knew that). :)

6. Stephen Davis

Stephen Davis Supporting Member

Yes, you can have one built, my tech will have mine ready tomorrow. If you need one, email me and I will turn you on to him. Yes, the TU-2 is a mute, but it messes with the tone if it is in line. I am putting my TU-2 on the tuner out on the Axess buffer, and the mute with be the first thing in my signal line. I am going to stop using a volume pedal for a while, so I need a mute.

Rabbit

7. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Look into your collection of pedals for one that uses mechanical switching - it doesn't have to be true bypass, but it does have to use a mechanical switch. An MXR, Marshall, etc. pedal will work - BOSS, Ibanez, etc. will not. Hook up the pedal as the first effect in your chain, and remove the battery, and don't plug it in either. Instant mute!

8. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

There are times when the mute function on the TU-2 is the best thing in the world for my tone! :D

9. somedude

somedude Member

Haha!

Good one....I never thought of that....and assuming you have an extra pedal lying around it'd be cheap too.

10. iainmc

iainmc Member

i have a loooper with the stutter option - it mutes & can do real quick onoffonoffon things. really only useful for a pedal like a fuzz factory.

/i

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

cheapest option would be to buy one of those planet waves cables with the circuit breaker. Simply press the button on the cable and voila, no sound. press it again and sound is back!

They don't cost much more than regular planet waves cables, this'd be your best (and cheapest) bet, I'd reckon

12. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Can't take credit for it, I read somewhere one of the Ramones did that. You can also use a BOSS pedal, or a pedal that uses electronic switching, provided the pedal has a LEVEL/VOLUME control. Plug the pedal in, and just turn the LEVEL/VOLUME all the way down. Click ON, mute, click off, sound.

13. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

If you already have a TU-2, you don't need anything else at all. Just turn it on to mute. Doesn't matter if you're tuning or not.

14. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

i had thought of that john,but........................does a made for the job non tone sucking mute pedal actually exist ?

15. dash_doc

dash_doc Member

I should get one I'll bet that it would help my tone also!!!:D

16. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

I doubt you'd find a dedicated such product, although it'd be dead easy to whip one up. All you'd need is a box, two jacks, a couple of inches of wire and a (latching) switch. You could get away with a SPST, if you don't need an LED.

Here's how to do it:
    1. Drill the box and install the jacks/switch
    2. Connect the "hot/tip" tabs on both jacks with a piece of wire. For now, only solder the input jack.
    3. If the jacks and/or box are plastic, connect the ground tabs as well (if they are the metal/switchcraft type with a metal box, they will be grounded through the box). Again, only solder the tab on the input jack.
    4. From the hot/tip tab on the output jack, run a wire to one of the tabs on the switch. Solder the wire at both ends.
    5. From the ground tab on the output jack, run another wire to the other tab on the switch, and solder at both ends.
    6. You're done!
      [/list=1]Basically, activating the switch will short out the output to the amp/pedalboard, which kills the signal instantly. To the amp, it "looks" like you've just turned the guitar volume fully off.

The switch wiring will be slightly different depending on which type of switch you have - they should always be latching, btw. An SPST has only two soldering tabs, so you can't go wrong there - it doesn't matter which wire goes where on that type of switch. An SPDT will have three soldering tabs - use the center one, and one of the outside ones. As long as the SPDT is a latching switch, it won't matter which of the outside tabs you use.

Adding an LED will make things more complicated, but this is all you need to make a bare-bones but still proper mute box. Also, an A/B box will do the same job, but with the added bonus of having a second output you can use for a tuner (for instance).

/Andreas

17. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Do you feel that your TU-2 sucks tone or are you just irritated that it's a buffered pedal?

18. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

pete cornish makes a few.
    as for the question about why someone would need this- guitar swapping at high volumes and no way to get to your standby switch (or if you dont have one) makes noise that makes ppl leave.

19. Ibanez_Guy

Ibanez_Guy Member

i read on in a guitar magazine that kenny wayne sheppard has a 'snuff box' made by analogman. That sounds (or doesn't sound rather) like it.

http://www.analogman.com/clone.htm

'find on page' the word 'snuff'

20. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member