Such thing as decent sounding six saddle tele bridge?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Grant Ferstat, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Hi All,

I have a '98 Collectors Tele.
    At present I have Callaham pre-intonated brass saddles. Great tone-really happy with that part of the equation. Not only that, but better intonation. Notice however that I say better intonation because in my opinion it's still not good enough.

I would really like to know if there is a six saddle bridge that is tonally good.

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I think it really depends on what YOU consider good tone. I'm hesitant to offer my opinion because if the Callaham pre-intonated saddles still aren't good enough for you intonation-wise you are very definitely more particular about things like this than I am. I'm perfectly happy with my Vintique intonated saddles, any lack of perfection in the intonation becomes meaningless to me when I'm manhandling my Tele.

3. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have no opinion on the Callaham saddles as I've never tried them. If you prefer a six saddle bridge, G&L sells their ASAT Classic brass saddles on their web site for $26.

I have these on a parts Tele and a ASAT Classic Custom and am real happy with them. They ring quite nicely.

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

NO! IMO, of course. The whole point of the 3 barrell bridge is that you have the down-pressure of 2 strings per barrell, providing that resonance against the body that (theoretically) simply couldn't be replicated with 1 string per barrell/saddle. And BTW, I do believe the validity of that theory. AC

6. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

But the six-saddle bridge has twice the number of adjustment screws, so twice as much contact with the bridge plate...

7. dave251

dave251 Member

I think maybe I'll design a SINGLE saddle Tele bridge...hmmm....

8. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I'm on the fence with this one... but certainly the pressue on each sadde and adjustment screw is decreased with a six saddle bridge. Presumably this is not about total contact area, but about the contact pressure????

At least that seemed like a good theory to my tiny brain at some moment in time... :confused:

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

OK, I've learned something here. Am I happy with what I have, or blissfully ignorant? Geez, now what?!?!?

Thanks a lot AaeCee!!!

I won't spend more money, I won't spend more money, I won't spend more money............