Sudden noise problem with TIM pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jordanyeo, Feb 12, 2015.

1. jordanyeo

jordanyeo Member

I've been rocking (and loving!) my Paul C TIM for many years, and have suddenly encountered some type of weird noise problem. When the Tim in engaged, even in low overdrive settings, I'm getting a pile of white noise. I've tried powering it by just the 9V battery instead of my pedal power and it sounds exactly the same. I've tried just going from Guitar -> Tim -> Amp, and it still makes the same noise. I've tried different amps, and even plugging in direct into my computer, same issue. It's not a normal hum sound from a guitar, but actual noise.

Here's the weird part I don't get- if I have a guitar cable plugged into the input, but not actually plugged into guitar, it makes noise. If a guitar is plugged in with the volume knob on the guitar up, makes noise. As soon as I turn the volume off on the guitar, noise goes away. Tried 2 different guitars and same issue. Wondering if it has something to do with an active load/signal on the pedal?

Any ideas? I love my Tim and can't live without it! Tried fiddling all knobs to no avail :(

2. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

Call Paul C.
    615-896-8555

3. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

Paul C will take care of you. Send him an email. Knowing him, HW will do it for free and turn it around in a day or two.

4. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

5. jordanyeo

jordanyeo Member

For anyone else who runs into this issue, chatted with Paul (super nice guy!) and he said it's the op-amp chip dying. Going to drop in a new chip and see if it solves my white noise issue.

6. astainback

astainback Member

It's been 13 minutes... where's the update??

Just Kidding...

Paul is the man!!!

And I like "Better Call Paul".

hahaha

7. minty901

minty901 Member

Upvote

8. jordanyeo

jordanyeo Member

Sorry, had to order the chip online! Not in hand to test out with. Will update when it arrives in the mail!

9. jordanyeo

jordanyeo Member

Update! Ordered a few chips from smallbear, and it totally solved the issue! After testing out 2 of the 4 that I ordered, I realized that I can't tell a difference between the chips. At least now I have some spares if one dies again :)

So to recap: if your Tim or Timmy or any type of tubescreamer is suddenly making a bunch of white noise, replace the op-amp! And, Paul Cochrane is one of the nicest people I've ever spoken to, and now my favorite pedal builder of all time.

10. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I love my Tim as well and couidn't live without it on my board.
    Vive Paul C.