SUF civil war vs the violet rams head

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pickleweed, May 17, 2011.

1. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

hey all, im in the market for a fuzz, and after much searching landed on the stomp under foot site. from the clips ive heard its damn close to what im looking for. problem is....there's like 2 within the range im loving. his civil war, and the vrh, all sound amazing from the clips. im almost tempted to get both. can anyone with experience with either pedal give me their opinions on them, and do you think they are varied enough to justify owning both? thanks.

2. DigitalHater

DigitalHater Member

I have a kind of unhelpful response for you, but I LOVE, love, love my Green Russian style muff. Great build quality, good noisefloor (way better than the musket fuzz I tried and returned before going to SUF). I personally want to buy all of Matt's muff versions.

3. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

The Civil War will have much more bass and be a bit rasher grittier. The VRH will be smoother. They will cover a lot of the same tonal palette, but you could totally justify having both if you love muff sounds. IMO, the Civil War (and all Russian-styles) are better for rhythm work, and the VRH is better for leads. Having said that, you could totally use either for both applications.

What guitars/amps are you using? What is your desired function for the pedal?

Caprica likes this.
  4. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

im running a modded mexi strat through a blackstar ht-5. i love how close the rvh gets to comfortably numb style lead, but enjoy the grittiness of the civil war for rhythm. pretty much exactly what you said lol. seems like i want my cake, and to eat it for the price of 1!

that said, im only beginning to build my pedal collection, and i was looking for some dirt alternatives to my amp distortion.

i dont really have a specific sound im looking for yet, i was just looking for a good sounding muff, really. seems like i found more than enough. but anything in the pink floyd range is a bonus for sure.

5. sbr

sbr Member

I have the SUF 73 Rams Head. This pedal is 100% the one for Pink Floyd tone. Put an Electric Mistress after it and a touch of delay and you have that awesome tone from "The Wall".

Out of the two I'd probably say the VRH is the better choice. for most Floyd stuff. The Civil War was only used for a short period, the rest of the time it was a VRH.

6. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

looks like im leaning towards both. anymore opinions are welcomed.

7. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Can't comment on the VRH, but I have the CWM and it's a great pedal. SUF builds terrific stuff.

8. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

The only way to really know is to A/B them with your rig.

9. hreth

hreth Member

You are going to want both. I got the Civil War first. It ripped my head off and **** down my neck. I had to have the VRH soon after.

10. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

THIS^

The SUF Civil War was my first Muff. It destroyed me.

Then, I bought the SUF VRH. It re-destroyed me.

Eventually, you will buy both, and fwiw, if I had to do it again, I would go the exact same route in the same order.

Buy the Civil War FIRST.

11. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I have the CWM and lovedd it so much I placed an order for the VRH. Just got an email from Matt stating it was done! Can't wait to test drive it!

12. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

I bought the VRH first, then bought a Pumpkin Pi. Love both of them though the VRH is my Fav. Have been looking at the Civil War and will most likely get that one too very soon.

Matt knows Muffs ;)

13. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

matt should give you guys commission. to anyone who has one of these - how do they clean up?

14. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I have owned four SUF pedals, three of them muffs. They are all awesome. As far as clean-up, IMO the russian-type ones clean up better than V1-V3, so the Civil War will clean up better than the VRH. Basically because the VRH is so compressed and the russian types are a bit more open. YMMV though.

15. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Sorry for the turn here. Is your last name Dillman ???

16. JedimasterPaul

JedimasterPaul Supporting Member

I've had a SUF CWM (#51) for a few months that I picked up off eBay. After getting that, I immediately got on the list for a Ram's Head and that show up a few days ago.

The RH has more saturation to my ears, CWM sounds 'cleaner' in comparison- not as wild or wooly

If I could only keep one, it would be the Ram'S Head, but I'm keeping both as they really do compliment each other nicely.

Ps- is the Rams Head I got the same as the Violet Rams head? It's the regular one that you order off the web page, silver with purple letters.

I love these pedals- I knocked a WIIO off my board so I could keep both of these

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

17. steelerboy329

steelerboy329 Member

Yes, yours should be a VRH. Comparing the VRH to Civil War, I would choose the VRH (yes I realize it's an old thread). The Civil War has more bass than I need, but it still sounds great; however the Tri-Muff is my favorite.

18. Jdawgy

Jdawgy Member

I would have to agree....

I have both the Classic CWM and Classic VRH on my board. Couldn't live w/o either of them on there...

I love the awesome stacking capabilities with these muffs too (obviously I don't stack them together)...

I love the lead/rhythm tones of the muffs by themselves (I use both for different applications).... breath taking!!!
    I also love the sound of the VRH boosted by an EP booster after the fuzzes (Zappa, Fripp, STP, Grunge, etc.).

I also love to boost both with a Aluminum Falcon for smoother soaring OD/Muff leads (Floyd, EJ (believe it or not), SMOOTH lead tones).

I wanna get one of the newer Classic TriMuffs... I just need to get the funds before that lovely email notification comes through :jo

19. steelerboy329

steelerboy329 Member

I'm really looking foward to my AF2 for the exact same reason...just to boost my muffs. I really like my POT with my Tri-Muff so I'm hoping the AF2 with the Classic '72 will be like :omg

20. Jdawgy

Jdawgy Member

I would totally recommend wearing and diaper and a condom, cause your gonna "fill the cup" and "**** your pants" at the same time when your pair those two up!!!!

I'm just waiting for the next email for the classic trimuff.... gonna pull the trigger anyways :aok