Suggest 12AX7s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pvlcassic30, Dec 22, 2009.

1. pvlcassic30

pvlcassic30 Member

Ive got a Trace Elliot Bonneville 1x12 combo with a V30. Bought it used from a guy, it currently has 5 groove tubes in it. Need suggestions on what to put in. It has 3 gain stages, or voicings, I like the first. Its Fenderesque. But the last two are Harsh, lots of high end. Even with the bright switch off, and treble and presence backed off, The sound ice picky, and there is a funny break up at high gain levels.

Suggest 12AX7s to replace for the last two gain stages to make it warmer.

Walt

2. tcmono

tcmono Member

Groove Tubes relabels and markets several different 12AX7's. There are a few different Russian tubes, a Chinese, and JJ's. Your amp probably came with 12AX7WA's which are Sovteks. JJ ECC83S (aka Groove tube ECC83S) cut high end some, as do Shuguangs (aka Groove Tube 12AX7C, TAD 12AX7C, "Chinese" 12AX7). Both are better tubes than the Sovteks.

3. MarkF786

MarkF786 Member

I'm happy with the new Tung Sol 12AX7 tubes.

4. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

:agree

Of current-production 12AX7 options, New Sensor's "Tung-Sol" will warm it up.

- T

5. TubezAmpz

TubezAmpz Member

in a house where I can actually turn my amp up a l
    i dont understand the liking for tung sol preamp tubes... much prefer the jj's, eh, or chinese

6. alguit

alguit Member

I didn't have this experience at all with my Matchless Lightning. A new Tung-Sol in v1 made it rather bright. I had an old 50's one that I then took out of another amp and put in, and it was very warm and smooth.

Back to the OP-I had one of those amps-there were only 400 made. My impressions were just like yours. I went NOS with it, as I do with most amps, and the Bonneville is worth it. Some RCA black or greyplates (I used both) did wonders for that amp. They're an initially expensive investment, but they will last for years and years.

7. TubezAmpz

TubezAmpz Member

in a house where I can actually turn my amp up a l
    Yep, RCA are among my favorites. Have a black plate in v1 on my YCS50. Also have grey plates and 7025s and all are good.

8. small axe

small axe Member

ge or rca or bugle boys for me

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

New production to tame highs? I'd say Sovtek LPS or JJ ecc83s. Bob

10. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I like EHX 12ax7ehs - decent sound and price. They warmed up my rather harsh Epiphone BC30 quite nicely; although not as much as changing the power tubes. I've heard that JJs are usually the go to 12ax7 to warm things up, as they're reputedly darker sounding than most other brands.

11. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

The absolute best modern production 12AX7 to achieve your goal is the JJ ECC83S. I like the high gain version from Doug's Tubes.

12. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

BTW, the Tung Sol 12AX7s have some nice gain and breakup, but among the brightest preamp tubes on the market and can add a LOT of high end fizz to distortion tones in many amps. For NOS, the RFTs are not too expensive and are very dark and creamy.

13. salsage

salsage Member

I have found the new issue Tung Sol 12AX7s bright also, but they really do sound great.
    I ended up using a mix of Tung Sol & Shuguang (GT 12AX7C). Its the best of both worlds. The Shuguang tamed that high end and kept that "3D" sound I love Tung Sols for. On my budget this worked for me.

14. jaydub69

jaydub69 Member

15. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

I changed out the original RCA 7025 in a bought-new 1976 SFPR three years ago with a Tung Sol RI 12AX7. The amp sounds as good as it ever has.

16. doublee

doublee Member

There are 2-3 very good sellers of old tubes on this very forum....Rockon, the poster above being one, its a very good opportunity to try the old stuff these days.

17. pvlcassic30

pvlcassic30 Member

THis is helpful. I was alwaysunder the impression that the tung sols were cheap, but people seem to like em here. The RFTs are expensive, but I might get a matched pair, and then JJs.

Thanks,
    Walt

18. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I have a single 12AX7 Reeves 12 and started doing some 12AX7 testing with it. The best of current 12AX7s that I found was the JJ ECC803S which is a long plate. It was thick, fat and smooth on the top end. JJ's own ECC83S sounded pretty thin in comparison. In fact, nothing current (tungsol, sovtek, EH, EI or the groove tubes, mesa branded) tubes could touch it. The JJ even beat out a few NOS tubes that I tried. Over all, a fisher branded Telefunken was the absolute winner, but that's a little more pricey.

Of course the prob with long plates is the greater chance of being microphonic in a combo.

19. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

You might want to check out a good tube distributor like ARS Van Nuys CA. The guy hand picks all his supply and stocks all the latest + NOS.

20. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

For New production I found the Tung Sol warmer than the EH, but with a little less definition.
    For NOS definately the RFT, warm with high gain. I have found the Tungsram quite good, not overly warm, but does break up quite smoothly. Maybe the Brimar might be worth a try to.