Suggest a beater acoustic/electric guitar for me...

slugworth

So I want to find a good "beater" acoustic/electric. Not opposed to buying used. Here are my requirements:

Must haves:
  • $600 max budget, although I would like to come in well below that.

• Laminate back and sides. I live in a dry climate and one of the main reasons I need a "beater" guitar is so I don't need to humidify the thing. So no solid back/sides.

• An output jack that is NOT on the endpin. I want to have strap locks on the endpins, and the output jack south of that. I don't really care what electronics are in there because I'll replace them anyway, but having the output jack how I want it to begin with will save me a lot of work.

• String spacing at saddle greater than 2-1/8". This counts out a lot of Takamines. I play a lot of fingerstyle, and I need a little more room down there.
Would be nice:
  • A pinless bridge, like I've seen on Ovations and some Takamines. Are there others out there?

• Not a lot of gaudy stuff. I wouldn't turn a guitar down because of abalone, but that would definitely be a step in the wrong direction.

• Still sounds decent unplugged. I prefer the sound of a Martin dread, in case that affects any suggestions.

So what do you guys have, or what can you suggest?

Last edited:

slugworth

Thanks for the suggestion.

A little while after I made the OP, I realized I was looking for features that are common to Ovations so I started looking at them. I pulled the trigger on an Ovation Elite 1778 that gets here in a few days. I owned a fiberglass-back Dean several years ago that was a really fun guitar to bump around with. I've had a couple of Ovations briefly since then that I couldn't bond with, but hopefully this one will be better than those.

IM4Nats

Probably an Alvavez as far as laminate guitars. The pinless bridge is a feature I would strongly recommend you rescind

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
Check out a used CA Carbon Fiber Cargo. Seriously great sounding guitars and virtually impervious to the elements. Huge and warm sounding, not glassy and bright like a RainSong.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CACargoRAWE

A bit about your budget new, but they can be found $550-650 used, which really makes no difference, as they don't really age or stress over time. Just a thought.

Tahitijack

Late to the party, but as I read the OP I was thinking Ovation would tick all the boxes. I got my Celebrity from a craigslist seller for your reasons. If it ever gets lost or damage it is easy and cheep to replace. Good luck with yours.

erniecaster

Hi!

Stop thinking about the endpin-thing. Screw in an endpin behind the output jack and it´s done. I do that with every acoustic guitar as I am using straplocks as well.

cu

erniecaster

Trending Topics