suggest a cab to go with my Plexi 20w

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Big Al, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Big Al

Big Al Member

Way back over yonder across the hills. Scotland
    suggest me a cab to go with my cornell plexi 20w.
    needs be be either 1x12 or 1x10 - i'll eventually be going for 2 stacked...but with one to begin with.
    [​IMG]

your answers please :)

ps, yes...it's green :D
    it's a prototype - one of six made :cool:

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

So you got it then :).

There are some 1x12" Marshall cabs (model 1931A/B I think) from a roughly 1/3-size stack - larger than the Micro-Stack, smaller than the Mini-Stack. They look cool and they'd probably sound OK with the right speakers. I think they're about the right width for the head.

The normal model 1912 is OK-sounding as well, but I think a touch too narrow for the head to look right on top.

Of course what you really need is a matching pair of cabs in the green levant with basketweave grilles :).

Whatever cab you get, I'd recommend G12H-30s if you're after that Jimi vibe (did I really have to ask? ;)).

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

Very Cool, Big Al.
    Nice amp, indeed. Keep it.
    If you've got the dosh, it's worth having Denis make a matching cab.

Best, Pete.

4. Big Al

Big Al Member

Mrs G would love them John :cool:

i'll keep my eyes peeled on ebay et al for the 1912 or 1931 - let me know if get a price for the tatty 1912s

Cheers.

5. Big Al

Big Al Member

i'm afraid i don't have the cash at the moment - my last pound + more went into the plexi!!!

6. 908SSP

908SSP Member

If you were in the states I would recommend the Scumbag Pre-Rola clones. The 30 if you like a clear more articulate sound and 25 if you like more wool on your sound. Since your in England I would go with the new Celestion Heritage speaker I bet you get them cheaper then we do. Either the the 30 or the 20 same reasons as the Scumbags. If you want a more bluesy smoother sound a pair of Blues would sound amazing.

7. Swarty

Swarty Member

There is also a Marshall model 1933 (1x12) that I use with Marshall 20s. It is about the same width as the head, has sealed back and about a 2" port hole in the front. Nice sounding cab.

8. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

In addition to the Marshall 1965s (4x10) I usually run my 20w'er through, I also have a TruTone 1x12 with a Vintage 30 in it that just sounds DIVINE with this kind of amp.

Nice thing about the TruTone is the 'convertible' back - you can have it closed (which I do), 1/3 open or 2/3 open just by removing a couple of panels. Very cool.

Well constructed cab - very light - and it sounds great.

--chiba

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Personally I'd go for a 2x12 but for 1x12 or 1x10
    Maybe a Bogner Shiva style 1x12 ...
    or I saw the Tone Tools website recently their 1x12 Fat Cat looks nice.

10. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Of course, the other great thing about this amp design is that it was originally really a PA model, and has two totally independent channels, so you can run your guitar though one and Mrs G's Roland drums through the other :).

11. Big Al

Big Al Member

i know!! mrs G was a wee bit excited about that to!! only a wee bit mind you ;) wimmen, eh?

12. loverocker

loverocker Member

The bigger-than-1912 1x12s are hard to find. If your budget is tight, you are more likely to score a '70s Marshall 2x12 (horizontal) speaker cab for it. Under £150 if you shop around. My last one was £75. Another vote for the G12H here.

Um... not wishing to rain on anyone's parade... but, methinks DC needs more practice on tolexing corners or at least add corner 'protectors' to hide those gaps. (Now I feel like a heel, as if I'd pointed out how ugly someone's kids are...) :eek:

13. myles111

myles111 Member

The best sounding cab I ever heard with a similar amp (The Marshall hand wired version) was the open back 4x12 with the silver bull dogs in it. The cab was sold as a "set" with the offset reissue Marshall JTM-45. Unfortunately, the cab was not available on it's own or I would have grabbed on in a split second. It may be the best cab I have ever heard.

14. gizmo

gizmo Guest

The size is not quite right but I use a 1933 with my Lead & Bass 20. I swapped the G12-75 for a Heritage G12M and love it. A Heritage G12H would probably sound good too but I haven't played through one of those.