suggest a practice rig with headphones please

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by specialidiot, Aug 12, 2018.

1. rutxer

rutxer Member

My options:
    a) Line6 Pocket Pod
    b) Atomic Ampli Firebox -> Moore Audiofile

If you have some pre-amp pedal, the Audiofile is a nice option. The cab sim is ok (worse than the AFB, but decent enough to practice with).

Nevets likes this.
  2. jape

jape Member

Posting so I remember to check back... I've been thinking lately I'm not very happy with my headphone / practice situation.

There must be a thousand ways to accomplish this now & several good ways already suggested. It's great to have options

A friend was recently working on a direct to PC & eventually a direct to PA option. This got me thinking about what I want to do.

As a temp solution, he just added an old Tech21 SansAmp pedal to the end of his pedalboard --> audio interface ( Focusrite Scarlett ) --> the DAW on his PC. Any of the SansAmp pedals would work - Character pedals / FlyRig / the Joyo copy. I supposed you could skip the pedalboard & use the FlyRig dirict to the audio interface. That would be a pretty simple / compact solution.

My friend ended up purchasing one of those fancy, new load boxes from Two Notes so he can use his amplifier also. This is not a cheap & small set-up, but now he runs his regular pedalboard --> 50 watt Marshall style head cranked up --> Two Notes Torpedo --> DAW or PA. Awesome.

I currently have a little Fender Mustang & the headphone out is pretty good. I just haven't been very inspired by it lately. I should probably just spend some time setting up the patches. Good to hear a couple people suggest the Katana, I've been thinking about switching from the Mustang to a Katana.

Like several have suggested, the iPad / Amplitube solution looks really easy & convenient.

I'm sure an Axe-FX set-up would be amazing. Maybe that's a bit overkill? :) You could pick up an Avid Eleven Rack used for $250-300 or so. That would give you about a thousand great options.

I've reached Paralysis through Analysis!

specialidiot likes this.
  3. Dale

Dale Member

Pod/Mustang/Vox modeler variants with aux in AKG k240 headphones. Phone or tablet for band tracks.

specialidiot likes this.
  4. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

This is why I live out in the country. My problem is my family and my habit of playing late, so I play through headphones. I chose Grado GS1000e. You want open-backed headphones of high quality. Closed-backs don't work as well.

I've done just about every solution mentioned here and others. Amplitube is one of the worst solutions. The Yamaha THR doesn't sound good through headphones to my ears. A lot of the cheaper MFX pedals have sterile headphone outputs. The Mustang amp has an awful headphone out.

The two best solutions I ever found were:

Blackstar HTR1 (or 5) amp. The headphone cab emulation is quite good. You can run pedals into it. This is a good solution if you want to keep using a tube amp and pedals.

The absolute best sounding amp through headphones, bar none, that I have found, is the Kemper Profiler. The headphone out is top shelf. All the amps you could ever want can be stored in it and it has a lot of effects built in that are superb and it too can work with external pedals. It's expensive, but I've found nothing that touches it in quality of sound.

I'm not saying these are the only two solutions of course. I'm sure there are other rigs just as good.

jape likes this.
  5. angelsvictory

angelsvictory Member

The Mooer Radar. This amazing unit allows you to hear your pedalboard through a speaker IR, mic, and even a power amp simulator. I cannot say enough good things about it as a headphone amp.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Nevets, TTHX and Theorist like this.
  6. edward

edward Supporting Member

^^^He beat me to it! :)

The iRig is excellent, and I use mine with either my iPad or iPhone. I used Amplitude and it's good, but I prefer JamUp. Both apps have their pros/cons, but neither is really hands-down better than the other, at least as far as I've experienced. Use both for a bit and you'll likely gravitate toward one of them. Get whatever headphones you like (heck, you can even use the stock earbuds) as you can clearly spend as little or a lot with just this. Overall, you really can't lose with this setup for something that sounds good, is fast/easy to use, and requires minimal investment. One can always make any rig more involved …but is that what your goal is here? ;)

Edward

Clyde Billt and Theorist like this.
  7. wox

wox Supporting Member

Fractal AX8 or laptop with your choice of USB interface and amp sim/DAW.

8. Clyde Billt

Clyde Billt Silver Supporting Member

For late night/early hours with the headphones I use Guitar Rig 5.

It goes;
    • Guitar into audio interface via guitar chord.
    For the home PC it's an old E-MU 1616 ( but you could use use a Presonus Audiobox, Focusrite Scarlett, RME babyface, iRig etc).
    For the macbook it's an old Apogee One.

• Audio interface into computer via USB.
    • Computer running Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5.
    • Headphones into PC speakers or Apogee One headphone socket.

GR 5 has great slow down, pitch change, tuning change options for any MP3.
    Click track and recording facility with overdub.
    Change amps, cabs, pedals, mic placement.

Or,
    Set up amps and pedals etc. according to genre. (Classic Rock, Metal, Jazz, Pop, Ambient, Country)
    Set up amps and pedals etc. according to songs. (can't remember what they are tbh but there are some Prince, U2, Dire Straits, Police, SRV, Foo Fighters, Zep, VH, AC/DC, Jimi, Stray Cats).
    It can all be mixed and matched, added to or subtracted from and generally messed about with or left alone.​

jape and Theorist like this.
  9. s2y

s2y Member

In college, I picked up a Korn Pandora III. I'd like to check out an updated model some day.

10. Theorist

Theorist Supporting Member

This is my rig at home and in my office, I use the iPad usually when traveling. But I use Amplitube Max instead of Guitar Rig, there are so many nice amps in that package that it literally killed my amp GAS...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Clyde Billt likes this.
  11. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

I have one of these, they're about $60 cad. I have an ipod connected to it and I use a small stereo for my output. It will take headphones, a mic and has an output for a recording device.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dale likes this.
  12. mastercaster

mastercaster Member

1. Low budget and portable, Zoom G1on and Superlux HD668b headphones. Sounds great easy to use with lots of features, aux in, tuner,metronome, drums and looper. Add a mp3 player, small tablet/phone or laptop for backing tracks and extra apps.

Nevets likes this.
  13. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

I use any of my amps with a Universal Audio Ox and a tiny audio interface (have to look and see what that is) to listen to my phone or iPad and play. Not likely the cheapest solution but there aren’t too many compromises involved. I have a small 15 watt 68 Lead clone that has a 6V6 backend if I need lighter and more portable.

Sounds fantastic with a pair of Beyer DT-150 headphones.

14. naveed211

naveed211 Member

Guitar - lexicon alpha interface (simple, cheap, and works) - computer with Scuffham SGear.

Headphone tone for days...and cheap.

If you have a Mac, you can play your backing tracks in garage band. If you have a pc...maybe audacity?

jape likes this.
  15. Dan R.

Dan R. Member

I use the HT1-R with headphones. Has good reverb and takes pedals well for practice. Cheap option.

16. Mark Al

Mark Al Member

Helix + ER4SR = you will not want stop playing :)

specialidiot likes this.
  17. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    Digitech Trio?
    Although they ain’t $50 anymore.....

18. pattste

pattste Member

There are many different ways to accomplish this and you didn't mention a budget.

I use a Two Notes Torpedo Live and a small ($100) Mackie mixer. I like the fact that I can use my amp and pedalboard exactly the same way as I'm used to. It's a great recording and (silent stage) live setup as well. In my opinion it's a lot easier and faster to get the tones I want or need than playing the modeler game.

stormtrooper likes this.
  19. ur2funky

ur2funky Supporting Member

The new Mustang amps stream Bluetooth audio and are stereo, onboard effects included. They caught some bad press for being released before everything was working, but the latest software (which downloads over wifi) works great, and with new features being added all the time.
    I've been lucky enough to own many boutique amps and still have a wall of them, but the Mustang GT200 and the GT100 are the ones I've been using at my gigs. Lightweight, lots of built in effects, headphone jack.

20. almann

almann Member

Boss GT-1 is the best $200.00 I've ever spent on gear . A slew of effects , Looper , headphones , tuner , use it as a interface with your DAW & aux jack to run backing tracks from your phone . Highly recommended....