• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Suggest a quality PAF syle pickup similar to Holmes for a semihollow Gibson 336?

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
See above

Holmes are pretty much unobtainable. He's retiring soon and there's a conditional year wait.

Last edited:

Jimmy MAck

If you are new to the forum, welcome. If not, you have missed umpteen discussions about PAF pickups, and all the ups and downs. Or... maybe you chose to ignore the fray!

Yes, we've all heard about the wonders of the Holmes' sets. But now, it's time to move on.

I'm sorry about that, but reality sets in. And the reality is that: you will get umpteen answers containing umpteen personal favorites because the world is flooded with PAF makers - in all price ranges.
How willing are you to try 1/10th of them

Subjectivity. And it depends on what p/up brings out the best in YOUR guitar.

But to kind of narrow it down, based on my personal experiences, and a buddy's, whose playing and technical panoramas really exceed many people's, we like: Duncan Seth Lovers, Duncan 59's, DeArmond GoldTones, and ThroBaks - all being superior to stock pickups. (in semi-hollow bodies).

And yet, damn, there are so many many more to try.

ripgtr

Dunno enough about rolph but love Jim Wagner crossroads in 335 styles
After a half dozen sets of fancy and production pickups (some I really liked, some, not so much), I put a set of Rolph's in my h535.
I'm done, I have no desire to look anymore, they do what I need them to.

Jimmy MAck

I was gonna say in my post above, that after reading hundreds (thousands) of threads on P/Ups, I am impressed by the reputation that Rolphs garners. I want to try a set of his, just on my hearing about him for years now. But, I opted for brevity in my early response.
Also, your budget, and wait time will interpose on your decision.

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
See above

Holmes are pretty much unobtainable. He's retiring soon and there's a conditional year wait.
FYI Tom Holmes retired awhile ago. His Pickups are phenominal. If your looking for something for a semi hollow...I'll recommend the Throbak KZ-115's. Very clear and good harmonics. Not like Holmes harmonics...but actually clearer than the Holmes. (Had both in my 335).

Yeatzee did a great comparison video of a bunch of nice pickups:

I have several sets of Holmes H-450/455 sets in several nice Gibson Guitars.
Duncan Anitquities are not a bad option. They have a similar non character low wind clarity.
Lollar Imperial Low Winds are another option. These have a somewhat different sounding mid range, but get in the general ballpark.
Lindy Fralin Pure PAF's with A2 mags. These are sweet and wide open.
Have not found any Bare Knuckles or Throwbacks that sound even close to the Holmes.
Last resort would be to find a very early (1991 or 1992) set of Gibson 57 Classics = They were designed by Tom himself.

Last edited:

Bach88s

Double Platinum Member
Pickups are so subjective and while some may sound stellar in one persons guitar, take them out and put them in yours and they might not sound good. Many people don't realize that capacitors, and pots can play into the equation as well. I have had many Holmes in the past and he is a great guy and a great maker. The ones I think that sound best now to my ear are the PAF Gibson is putting in their custom shop guitars right now. I got a Gibson 355 ML this year and at first wasn't sure. But after some careful pole screw tweaking and height adjustment, they are stellar. They are Custombucker Alnico 3s unpotted. I don't think they are sold as sets unless u buy a guitar, but they are around for sale from people that took them out.

edward

Silver Supporting Member
For reference, I own and love my two CS Lesters, both of which I gig. My 336 sounds amazing with Wolfetone Marshalhead pups. I can’t possibly compare these to the myriad paf style pups, but can absolutely say the MH pups offer a clear, defined tone whether clean or saturated, and excel for rock and radio covers. Wolfe offers many different paf flavors, the MH are on the slightly hotter side, but always deliver superbly defined tone.

Edward

Top Bottom