Suggest a tube and speaker substituion for a DRRI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by EataPeach, Feb 24, 2008.

1. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

The DRRI is stock....
    I want more mids from it, maybe more clarity and less 'brightness.

I know of the 'Bright mod',and have done it, liking the results. I play a guitar with HB's now,VS a SC guitar when I had a DRRI the first time. So maybe the bright cap mod may not be needed this time around.

But I still want more mids...I was thinking of going with an alnico speaker ,or retubing..Maybe both...So I was looking for some thoughts from the gurus here..

Thanks!

2. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

I recommend an Eminence Cannabis Rex.

3. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Weber 12A150. or 12A125 ( I think the 125 is more geared for Deluxes) The ceramics fit a little easier than the Alnicos.

Celestion Greenback (for a more british flavor)

I've really liked the new Tung Sol Tubes... but if you can find some old RCA's... they sound great.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
  5. Curly

Curly Member

if you want more mids, don't over match the power of the speaker for the amp

if you do try the Weber suggested above, I'd verify that it will fit (I don't know, but some Alnico speakers are deeper than ceramics.)

6. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

Thanks for the sugestions

Blue strat-- I have already been to your site checking into the Brimars. I'm wanting to do a whole retube..I wes looking at the mullard rectifier tube VS the JJ. Will there be a signifagant difference..Consider I am on a budget,though proper tone can be convincing. I was thinking the Tungsol RI's for pre's

What do you guys know about leaving out the V1 tube if using only the second channel? I used to do it with no ill results..Matter of fact it sounded great,more punch etc..Just wanted to know if there are any side effects I dont know about.

More later

7. doublee

doublee Member

Just keep reading Blue Strat's site...