Suggest a vibrato pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ToneRanger, Jan 6, 2006.

1. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I just checked out the ZVex Lo-fi loop junky pedal demo video and it looked really cool, don't know what I'd do with one, but...

Anyway, what really excited me was the vibrato of the unit. I realized that it might be cool to have a vibrato on my pedal board. Who does a good one? What's "the best"? Does anyone sound similar to the one on the ZVex pedal?

I have no clue about vibrato pedals cause I have just checked out different dirt boxes for ages..

2. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

3. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

The Lovepedal Magicboy seems interesting and is quite cheap, especially at MusicToyz.. I'd just really like a vibrato, not so much a vibeish sound. Well, the Magicboy dont sound that much like univibe to me, it's something like a cross between a phaser and a vibe or something like that..

4. cameron

cameron Member

Most of the vibe pedals are Univibe clones. Some try to get Magnatone-stlye true vibrato. Neither of these effects is quite what the Low Fi Loop junky does. Perhaps what you want is more a phase shifter. A phase shifter and a Univibe style vibe effect can get similar in some ways.

Check out the Homebrew Electronics Psilocybe pedal. That might do the job.

5. drolling

drolling Member

Not the most common of effects, the holy grail of vibrato's said to be the long discontinued Boss VB-2. These things are as rare as hen's teeth and go for big bucks on eBay.

The closest I can get to that sound w/my gear is the vibrato setting on my EH Deluxe MemoryMan. It's a killer analog delay w/built-in modulaton that they refer to as 'chorus', tho' it sounds nothing like any chorus pedal I've ever heard. The vibrato effect is basically the chorus at double the speed.

Marshall's got a line of cheap pedals including something called the Vibra-Trem. I haven't heard it, but I had the compressor from the same series and thought it was pretty good.

But the best vibrato I've heard is the circuit in those old Magnatones that a previous poster mentioned. I was visiting friends in Toronto over the holidays and stumbled across one of these amps in a cool little music store that was filled w/vintage gear. If I didn't already have too many amps, I'd have bought it.

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

You might like the Auralux King Trem.

it's on http://www.pedalgeek.com

Sounds really nice. The King Trem's coolest feature is that it has two speed knobs and a footswitch to switch between the two speeds, like a Rotospehre MKII imitating a Leslie cabinet with two speeds. It's also got an intensity control. There is a slight phase to the sound, but more of a Leslie thing than a phase thing. And in stereo I'm sure it sounds amazing.

I'm going to get a Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser, which does phase, trem and tremo-phase (uni-vibe). Both of these are stereo, too.

I would get the Auralux if I didn't have a Leslie cabinet, but I do, so it looks like the DLP, which also has the phasing I want and a little more of a uni-vibe sound (not to mention several operation modes)....

I believe the DLP is on pedalgeek as well, but if it's not, it's on http://www.tonefactor.com

-Steve

7. erksin

erksin Member

My DLS Chorus~Vibe has great true pitch-shitfting vibrato tones. I've owned the VB-2, a Roland CE-1 and JC-120 amp, and a vintage Magnatone amp with vibrato - the DLS holds it's own very well IMO. The only box I've heard that was better was the Austone VibroStomp, but it was almost 2x the cost of the DLS.

Vibe pedals sound VERY different than Vibrato pedals - I don't know why people confuse them so often...

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Or, if you don't have an echo pedal, you could get a Deluxe Memory Man, which has your choice of chorus or vibrato...

9. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

...just to clarify terms you're interested in pitch modulation (vibrato) vs. volume modulation (tremolo)? How much would you really use it with the music you play?

Besides the VB-2 (btw, it has an unlatched switch mode that lets you "ramp up" the effect with your dry tone, so the effect starts low and builds up to full effect while you hold the switch down, you can control how fast that occurs...I've not seen another design with that feature...) and the vibe function others have mentioned, the Austone Electronics VibroStomp is also another good one, it has both onboard, but a little $$$ granted it's a 2n1 or the grandaddy CE-1 but probably very $$$ and might have reliability issues...another route to take might be a BOSS CE-2 mod to add the vibrato function...might be less expensive if you can find a cheap donor, the mod itself is only $49...

http://www.pedaldoctor.com/BossCE2.html

:cool:

(damn...every time I hear his clips I think I need to try this for myself...so much for N.Y. resolutions...)

10. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

Another vote for the DLS C~V. Excellent choruses and vibrato free of charge.

I have played several pedals with vibrato and it is a taste acquired slowly.

Almost every one of the univibe clones has a vibrato mode: Mojo, Ultra, Deja, Voodoo, CC, and CC2.

The Sobbat PhaseBreaker 2 has a vibrato mode as well.

They all sound pretty much alike - pitch shifting, slow or fast, deep or light.

11. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I like the Austone Vibrostomp and the "vibe" (not chorus) setting on my old white Fulltone Dejavibe.

12. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

13. billygoat

billygoat Member

how about the ole ehx clone theory?

14. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I love my Ibanez RC-99 Rotary Chorus, does a great faux Leslie. To me, this is "vibrato", what everyone usually refers to as a "vibe" (as in Univibe) is a whole different animal, closer to a phaser IMO.

15. woude

woude Member

I have a retrosonic Chorus Ensemble incoming next month. It's supposed to be a perfect copy of the boss CE-1 and therefore the vibrato should be really really good! Listen to the samples at the retrosonic website!

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just my opinion, but like you did on OD pedals, I did on vibes. I have (some of them I still own, some I sold) had:

Deja-Mini-Vibe
    Captain Coconuts 2 (vibe-fuzz-octave)
    Mojovibe
    several vibes built into multi-effects.

I can tell you which one I thought was best, and why, but vibes are almost as difficult as OD pedals about what you want. I was mostly interested in going after the Hendrix vibe sounds from "Band of Gypsys" and secondarily Robin Trowers' "Bridge of sighs". That's where I'm coming from. The vibe that I ended up with did that the best for my setup and playing style. That said, in the meantime I found uses for the vibes that didn't get that sound, that I ended up loving too, and they could do it differently from the one I ended up with.

Point is, you probably need to get lots more specific (and not too all over the place, a vibe that does the Hendrix thing, isn't going to do so well on the Guy Forsythe "Taxi" thing, or SRV maybe...there is overlap but there are definite differences too that are basically incompatible). The best way is, name some vibe sounds, probably best with specific songs instead of just artists, that have that sound you want, I think folks here with all their knowledge could help you better to narrow it down.

Most of the butique vibe pedals do two very different types of "vibe". Chorus, and "real" vibrato (which means like using the "tremolo bar" on a guitar, it wavers each tone above and below). Most of us use the chorus kind. The true vibrato kind would be like what was on Hendrix's "Land of the New Rising Sun" or Gilmours guitar (help me out here folks...is it "Money" when the guitar gets all clean, no verb, and does the outro?).

Anyway for just the "true vibrato" you don't need a vibe pedal, the Marshall VT-1 is a tremolo/vibrato pedal and it works really well.

As var as VIBE pedals, for me the Hendrix sound I wanted was best with the Mojovibe from Sweetwater. Since then, I have been very interested in one called the Megavibe by KR Products (you can find boh on Harmony Central user reviews). The thing with all vibes I have owned is they are really finicky about where in the chain you put them. I have heard, but have no experience with, that the KR Megavibe is WAY less sensitive about where in the chain it goes. If I only had money for one vibe, I would try out a KR...but it is all hearsay and I KNOW the Sweetwater Mojovibe is fantastic.

The Fulltone Deja-mini-vibe is also damned cool! It has (and the pedal maker called me "nuts" for saying this because "everyone else says the opposite") to me too thin a tone when I use it like I like. I tend to have the intensity low, for a more subtle effect and on most vibes this tends to thin out the sound. The Mojovibe was least susceptible to that, which is why I love that vibe. But, I found excellent uses for the Deja-mini-vibe too. The Captain Coconuts 2 vibe is really something...many swear by IT for Hendrixy/Trowery sounds, but I could never adjust out the "whump-whump" sounds from it. Also it is a 3-in-1 pedal, which has it's own power supply, and though I LOVED the octave in it, and it has ability to repatch the pedal order, in the end I sold it. The CC2 DOES have the most tweakability of any vibe I have owned. But maybe too much for live work.

Other than that Line 6 has produced a Leslie (rotating speaker) unit that seems to have mixed reviews but is more dedicated to recreating a Leslie sound...vibes originally were meant to do that too, mostly failed to really do it, but became effects in their own rite.

Botttom line, if I were starting out now, with what I know, I would first buy a KR Megavibe (by the way it also needs it's own power supply, since it uses 12 volts I think it was) and see how it was, but at the same time I would definitely place an order with Sweetwater for a Mojovibe. Depending on how the KR sounded, I would use one of them for main, and have the other as backup.

Hope this helps, sorry for the length, hope it was useful anyway.

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

D'oh....you DID mean truly a vibrato pedal after all, sorry again. I was talking about "vibe" pedals.

In that case, the best (and least expensive) I have found is the Marshall VT-1. I bought mine for the tremolo, after trying MANY strictly tremolo pedals, and it is the best I have run across, but in addition it has a vibrato setting and the vibrato is really adjustable and excellent.

18. svanangen

svanangen Member

I really like my VB-2, especially the latching-feature. True, they often go for ridiculous prices these days but if you keep your eyes open you should be able to find one for about $200 (which already starts to enter the ridiculous-zone but is still nowhere near the prices sometimes paid on E-bay).

19. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

THanks for all the responses!

Yep, I really want a vibrato, not an univibe nor a tremolo.

The DLS would perhaps be a cool choice, as it has chorus as well and the leslie samples sounded cool as well. And the leslie sounds were not that univibey to me at all, they were quite subtle. The only problem with the DLS is that it looks butt ugly to me :) Well, it must be good then, nobody sure wont buy it for the looks! Anyway, there seems to be one on the pedalboard of Brad Withford of Aerosmith and they have pretty darn good guitar sounds it should do the trick..

What was the VB-2 again?

20. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member