Suggest me a boost!

Heady Jam Fan

Just something simple that sounds good, transparent, clean. My rig is in my signature!

PS - I like the Tim's boost function, but you can't use the boost without turning on the OD.

BuckeyeBrown

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Boss CS-2 compressor that I used pretty much a light boost/sustainer for probably 15 years. It was excellent at giving a little extra sustain and I didn't set it up for any squish sound at all. I sold it and regretted it but picked up a Strymon OB.1 Compresser/Clean Boost and couldn't be happier. It too is a great compressor for people who don't want to hear the compression but want the sustain and this one is so great at pulling the notes of a chord all out. It also has a boost button on it with a knob to set the boost level along with a toggle to set the boost type; clean (which is a flat boost), treble or mid. Awesome pedal but if you haven't used a good compressor its hard to appreciate what they can do for you by listening to clips on you tube.

If you happen to live west of the city and want to check one out I don't live to far over the OH/PA boarder.

Heady Jam Fan

Yea, I think youtube is probably not at all useful for finding a compressor. I use the Maxon CP9pro+ and I really like it. I just moved it from after my OD to before OD and I haven't been using it much. Previously I had a mild compression (1.5 ratio), now I use it as a boost before my dirt, sometimes with some compression. I have to decide where I want to keep it because it is nice having it in front to boost and compress before OD for solos, but if I put it after OD, it could serve as a boost pedal probably.

I had a Boss CS-2 compressor that I used pretty much a light boost/sustainer for probably 15 years. It was excellent at giving a little extra sustain and I didn't set it up for any squish sound at all. I sold it and regretted it but picked up a Strymon OB.1 Compresser/Clean Boost and couldn't be happier. It too is a great compressor for people who don't want to hear the compression but want the sustain and this one is so great at pulling the notes of a chord all out. It also has a boost button on it with a knob to set the boost level along with a toggle to set the boost type; clean (which is a flat boost), treble or mid. Awesome pedal but if you haven't used a good compressor its hard to appreciate what they can do for you by listening to clips on you tube.

If you happen to live west of the city and want to check one out I don't live to far over the OH/PA boarder.

coralreefer

I'm using a Forest Green Compressor...set for little flavor/more boost...excellent sustain...

DrMerle

Classic09

My favourite boost is the Suhr koko boost. Something for half the price? CAE MC-401 boost does the trick!

cwcashiniv

+1 Zvex SHO. LOVE mine - works well on every single one of my amps, a Fender '69 SR, Vox AC 30, and Marshall Class 5. :aok

drolling

'dirty' boost: Xotic RC* (doesn't stand for Really Clean*, BTW!!)
'coloured' boost: Xotic EP
'clean' boost: Creation Audio Mk 4.23

As others say, you can use a compressor as a booster if you don't want to spend cash on a dedicated effect. That's the way I did it for many years; Diamond makes an optical compressor that can be employed as a clean boost. The built-in 'tilt' EQ circuitry adds greatly to the pedal's functionality

I also used a TS to boost at one time, but even with the gain rolled all the way off, there's still lots of grit & the mid hump that can't be dialed out

jpagey

Hermida Dual Boost - 2 different levels of boost
BYOC pre-built Tri-Boost - 3 boost in 1 so at leat one of the boosts will work for you
Keeley Java Boost - treble, mid full boost-very tweakable

mcknigs

Silver Supporting Member
If the purpose is to control the volume of your post-effects sound, rather than trying to drive the amp input harder *and* you want multiple levels of boost, there's always a volume pedal.

For a simple, absolutely clean boost, I've been happy with the MXR Microamp.

Velvert

Yellow side of The King of Tone, best OD boost for me, by the way the only boost I have ever played with and owned.

Trending Topics