Suggest me a good Floyd Rose Guitar under 1300€?

Hard Core

Hello guys,
my little cousin has to buy his first good guitar.
He wants something with the floyd rose and put his eyes on a Ibanez jem 505. We went to the shop and tried it but I think it has really bad sound ..
I really don't know much about necks pick ups woods ect.. so i would like you to give me some good option considering my budget ..
It doesn't matter if it has emg or duncan or whatever... the important thing is that it has a floyd and that is the best bang for the bucks.
I have a strato american standard since 2004 and I think it's a great guitar .. I would like to buy for my cousin a guitar that has the same quality as the Strato American standard so I'm sure that it will last forever and is a great product.

Thank you guys

Luke

A used USA Hamer Diablo or Centuara can be had for far less and fit the bill perfectly.

filtersweep

I would just get a Korean made LTD/Schecter/Ibanez with EMGs, -- and save a ton of money. You have a huge budget for this. This is just me, perhaps, but I have never formed an emotional bond to a FR equipped guitar. They are just tools. Part of it is that they never really had a mystique about them--- you don't really seen anything FR-related hot on the vintage market. I have an LTD MH400-- which is a bargain. For playability, it is better than any of my Fenders. They don't make this exact model, anymore, so you might go up a level.

If you want to know where the value points are, you might consider what FR trem you actually get. I would avoid the Lo-Pro Floyd, as it is a design nightmare. Depending on your intonation, it can be almost impossible to fit the hex wrench in there. Also, some licensed FRs have very slightly different post spacings. This could have implications down the road when it needs to be replaced. Cheap Licensed Floyds seem to have soft metals.

Hard Core

Personally I tried a LTD H series and I think they are aweful ... the neck was not confortable at all. Just my opinion, but i would compare it to a squire

The Charvel ProMod series might be a fit. They're MIM now instead of MIJ at the lower end, but probably still nice.

Sterling by Music Man has at least the AX40 with a Floyd.

While I understand some of the things that make buying new desirable, you can get a lot more guitar (easily twice in many cases) if you're willing to buy used.

As someone who regrets some the extra money he's spent on new gear in the past, I'd save someone else the frustration of learning that as late as I did. :)

CubanB

Love my Jackson Pro Series Dinky.. can't imagine a JS1000 or JEM or anything else being any better. It's seriously a 10/10 guitar, does the job in every way. It's one of the best guitars I've ever laid my hands on. And feels like it should have cost twice as much, but maybe it's just a lucky one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROAFZTFxz6Q

Switched to a Suhr Aldrich set instead of JB/59. Very versatile and balanced, amazing neck in terms of feel and intonation, and keeps tune very well. Maybe I just got lucky. It has all the positives of a high end Ibanez but with better tone.. tone for days (for my tastes at least). Sort of like a 24 fret version of a Charvel Pro Mod. Neck is a touch thinner but not super thin. Alder body with maple cap. The blue ones with maple neck look amazing. But saved a few hundred and got the red one second hand (mint condition). The only controversial thing about it, is the 3 bolt neck join as opposed to 4. Haven't seen anyone that has had any problems though and all new Jacksons seem to come with this. Would prefer the Ibanez style neck join but it works just fine.

Have no idea about the price in Euros, but they aren't super expensive guitars. People talk of custom shop guitars but it feels like I already own one.

Other than that.. I understand your pain, because buying new FR guitars are hard to find in terms of lower price points, and quality. There's usually either cheaper pickups or a cheaper bridge, or something else. So much easier when buying a strat or something simpler. The Sterling JP line was something I thought about, it's a vintage style trem but still keeps tune well with locking tuners and also Charvel Pro Mod (but wanted 24 frets)..

Ibanez is hard because they are so expensive yet usually have weak points somewhere, like pickups or a thin tone. The S style Ibanez guitars.. have ZR tremolos and are quite good. Need a pickup change though, it's not that they are bad.. just that they are not optimal. I know you said FR, but for all intents and purposes, it's the same thing.. a locking tremolo that keeps tune under heavy whammy use. ESP LTD is another option. Or Sterling AX40 like someone said.

Finding the right FR guitar is one of the hardest options out there IMO, compared to buying other styles of guitars. But there's a lot of options out there.. so you'll find something.

OotMagroot

The Schecter Banshee series looks nice for around $800US. Comes with with EMGs or Duncan Nazgul pickups.

custom53

Sterling by Music Man has at least the AX40 with a Floyd.

While I understand some of the things that make buying new desirable, you can get a lot more guitar (easily twice in many cases) if you're willing to buy used.
I agree with the EBMM AX40.. But you could get a USA EBMM Axis for a great price if you bought it used...

Here is mine.. I bought it used with not a scratch on it.. Plus it feels like a 3/4 size guitar.. Great for a beginner..

jb4674

There's nothing wrong with the Jem 505. It's a cost effective version of the real thing but, it comes with some great features like:

Original Edge Tremolo (better than an original Floyd IMO)
Edge Tremolo locking studs
Maple fretboard without the vine inlays

The differences between it and the real Jem (7V) is that the body on the 505 is made out of basswood vs alder on the Jem (7V) and the pickups are not DiMarzio's on the 505.

Personally, I would go for this:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_...4&cat_id=1&series_id=1&data_id=151&color=CL01

Last edited:

Eagle1

There's nothing wrong with the Jem 505. It's a cost effective version of the real thing but, it comes with some great features like:

Original Edge Tremolo (better than an original Floyd IMO)
Edge Tremolo locking studs
Maple fretboard without the vine inlays

The differences between it and the real Jem is that the body on the 505 is made out of basswood vs alder on the Jem and the pickups are not DiMarzio's on the 505.

All the other Jem models are basswood only the 7VW is alder.

Wolfboy1

Grandpa but...Not Yet Old!
Platinum Supporting Member
Order a Carvin, you can customize it in quite a few ways. The Original Floyd Rose on mine was fantastic and, unlike my Axis, it dives and you can pull up on it.

bblevins

+1 on the EVH Striped Series. I love mine, but if you don't want the iconic stripes then I would suggest:

The Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod. Recessed floyd and fantastic compound radius neck. JB pickup in the bridge, '59 at the neck. MiM, but the build quality is fantastic.

bkatx

+1 on the EBMM Axis. New they are in the $1700 range, used around $1000. The pickups are fantastic and the unfinished neck feels great. The floyd will only dive though, so that might be an issue.

Sweat

Gold Supporting Member
Yep EBMM Axis but at your price point would have to be used or on sale(not a fan of the lower priced Sterling models) or a floyd equipped EBMM Silo.

Trending Topics