Suggest me some modern prog rock

rotlung

I'm curious to hear what's out there. I know of bands like Porcupine Tree but wanting something different, maybe a bit more "riffy", but not metal. I like some stuff like King Crimson, so more that appeals to KC fans and not so much Pink Floyd fans, if that makes sense. I don't know much about the genre or where to start.

Super Locrian

There's a lot of good stuff out there, definitely check out bands like Thinking Plague and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum if you want something else than a) Yes/Genesis ripoff bands or b) metal "prog". Even Radiohead deserves to be included, although they are not typically proggy in the sense of having 20 minute, multipart song cycles or instrumentals.

White Willow is a Norwegian band that is definitely worth checking out if you like the symphonic side of prog.

huskerjohn

District 97. I found them this past weekend looking for an old Genesis song, Back in New York City. They do a pretty good rendition on the Live at Rites of Spring video. I don't know much more than this about them.

skillet

Wooden Shjips? More psychedelic than anything, but them and Crippled Black Phoenix were the first thing to pop into my head. I only have their first EP but it is good.

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
I like a lot of Neal Morse's solo stuff and what he did w/ Spock's Beard.

flume

Double Platinum Member
Maybe too obvious....or avoided for other reasons, but Clockwork Angels by Rush is an astounding piece of work. Riffs galore, great songs, and they play their guts out. Not to be overlooked while hunting in the underground of lesser known bands that also have fine offering as already named here.

S. F. Sorrow

Wobbler from Norway is incredible. Traditional prog. Sounds like they record in 1972

Here is a fascinating series of vids documenting themselves recording an album at their Norwegian farmhouse. Very entertaining. The keyboard collection is mind blowing. He takes some apart for maintenance. Mellotron/Chamberlin...
Here is a link to the 20 part series
www.youtube.com/user/fredfroi

Sample..

Rangerat

Astra - prog rock band from San Diego. Very Floyd/Crimson/psychedelic I think. Two albums out, The Weirding & The Black Chord.

CrackTheSkye

Check out Coheed and Cambria.

I'd link some videos but I can't from work. Most of their stuff is good though

Dave Klausner

The guitarist from Syzygy is a friend of mine. They do some pretty intricate original prog stuff.

And just because I love the tune, here they are covering UK's "In The Dead of Night":

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Porcupine Tree
Umphrey's McGee
Ozric Tentacles
Combination Head

S.
j

Trending Topics

Top Bottom