• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Suggest me THE amp

He_Ma

Hi! Im looking for amp that could probably be with me for good. Im looking something leaning to Matchless/Divided by 13/Bad Cat.. Here are some things I'm looking for in my new amp:

-Head and 2x12 cab to make it easier to carry
-effects loop (If there is one, I prefer common effects loop for both channels)
-2-3 Channels or footswitchable volumeboost (This isn't necessity)
-Takes pedals well (Then I could go with one channel)
-Good master volume is always nice
-EL84 or EL34

I play mostly at local church with some cleans and mostly at the edge of breakup. I also play some rock ranging from Pink floyd to Foo fighters to Porcupine tree so versatility is plus. I really really liked Matchless nighthawk, that I tried once so HC30 could have same flavour with more headroom and two channels? Divided by 13 FTR 37 has also sounded amazing in some clips. I like those bit compressed cleans.

What should I buy? And, yes I will try it before i buy anything but it isn't easy to try those amps in Finland.

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
You're going to get everyone's favorites, so here's mine:

Mesa Mark V

You can thank me later.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Umm, most of the Badcat/Matchless/Divided by 13 amps use a similar power amp topology, borrowed from the Vox AC30. It doesn't lend itself well to channel switching in the sense of an overdrive channel because the preamp section and the power amp saturate about the same time... The two channels on the HC30, for example, sound different but aren't really different in gain until the amp is seriously cranked! Or unless you use an attenuator.

So, if you want different levels of gain in terms of channels, I'd recommend a Randall/Egnator modular. If you want that AC30 derived smooth breakup, get one of the amps you mentioned and some pedals.

Wayne Alexander

Gold Supporting Member
The Bad Cat Black Cat 30 is what you're asking for. It's similar in concept to a Matchless DC30 or HC30 - left channel is similar to an AC30 Top Boost circuit, the right channel, EF86 based, is derived to some degree from the early AC30 EF86 circuit, but in case of both the Matchless and the Bad Cat, it's gainier and dirtier than a Vox would ever get. The Matchless has simpler controls and a single master volume that controls both channels, you can't switch between channels without an external A-B-Y box, and the Matchless is a bit brighter, more raw, and "steelier" sonically than the Bad Cat Black Cat. The Black Cat sonically is slightly smoother and a bit darker than the Matchless, but is in the same general sonic region, and has much more versatile controls - footswitchable between the two channels, and each channel has its own separate master volume, so you can pick a sound, a level of dirt, and a volume for each separate channel and footswitch between them.

Both of them are EL84 amps, both are, in their class, the best amps in the world, in slightly separate ways. Given what you've said you're looking for, you need to at least try both of these along with whatever else you're looking at.

SirGilmour

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30. It has an amazing clean channel that takes pedals well, a badass versatile gain channel and an effects loop. Its absolutely gorgeous sounding.

2x EL34

Last edited:

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I'd also look at some Dr Z offerings. Stylistically, they overlap with Matchless and Bad Cat a bit as far as being AC30 derived and having the crushed glass, edge of breakup thing, but they'll cost you half what the others will.

I've owned a Matchless: DC-30, Phoenix and Chieftain, a Bad Cat Black Cat 30 and now own a Dr Z Stangray. To me, they all do versions of the same theme.

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
My recommendation?

Try a different approach.

Most folks are going to recommend what they like/use.
I see the same boutique amp fan boys continuously answer threads like these with the same amp regardless of the OP requirements.
It's frustrating for me to see, and often steers the OP in the wrong direction, especially when there are multiple fan boys of said amp that inundate the thread.(not that it's happening with this thread........ yet)

I recently responded to a similar thread with my recommendation (not an amp I own, but something I thought the OP would like)
Turns out the OP bought the popular multiple fan boy recommended amp (which I knew wasn't going to work out for the OP)
The guy sent me a PM after he got the amp saying he didn't like it at all, and asked me more about the one I recommended.

He_Ma

Umm, most of the Badcat/Matchless/Divided by 13 amps use a similar power amp topology, borrowed from the Vox AC30. It doesn't lend itself well to channel switching in the sense of an overdrive channel because the preamp section and the power amp saturate about the same time... The two channels on the HC30, for example, sound different but aren't really different in gain until the amp is seriously cranked! Or unless you use an attenuator.

So, if you want different levels of gain in terms of channels, I'd recommend a Randall/Egnator modular. If you want that AC30 derived smooth breakup, get one of the amps you mentioned and some pedals.
Thank you all for answers. I know that channels in these amps aren't meant to do clean/overdrive by switching channel and I can live with that. I'd probably use the other (EF86) channel just as gainier version and I think I've got some nice pedals to go with these Voxy amps to make them go from clean to more driven..

Mark V sounds good but not maybe my cup of tea. Same goes to Shiva and Suhr PT100...

I checked those Carol Ann Amps. If those are available I also try them out.

Black cat and Hot Cat are some valid options. I'm also considering HC30r and that FTR 37 atm. EF86 preamps sound usually good to me :)

Keep those suggestions coming!

He_Ma

My recommendation?

Try a different approach.

Most folks are going to recommend what they like/use.
I see the same boutique amp fan boys continuously answer threads like these with the same amp regardless of the OP requirements.
It's frustrating for me to see, and often steers the OP in the wrong direction, especially when there are multiple fan boys of said amp that inundate the thread.(not that it's happening with this thread........ yet)

I recently responded to a similar thread with my recommendation (not an amp I own, but something I thought the OP would like)
Turns out the OP bought the popular multiple fan boy recommended amp (which I knew wasn't going to work out for the OP)
The guy sent me a PM after he got the amp saying he didn't like it at all, and asked me more about the one I recommended.
I just try to get few ideas and amps and maybe hear from people who have played many amps in this territory what they did like in particular amp. I already know that best drive tones I've heard came from Matchless Nighthawk so I know that I'm in the right territory :)

He_Ma

The two channels on the HC30, for example, sound different but aren't really different in gain until the amp is seriously cranked!
Yep. My previous posts were maybe a bit confusing.. I know that channels in HC30 are similiar in gain. What I meant was that I'd probably use the EF86 channel with some ODs or boosters to make it gainier. So I have both channels set on edge of the breakup and clean it with guitar volume. Would this work on HC30?

How are channels in divided by 13 FTR 37? Similiar to HC30?

DaveKS

Get a hamburger. At least you will know that you will be satisfied.
Really....

vs.

Lot of range there as far as satisfaction goes.

OP, look at players you admire, who's tone you thrive on, look at amps and types of speakers they use and try to adapt that to your usage. It maybe a clean amp with even bigger, cleaner speakers, pushed by a few pedal/preamps. It maybe a champ or a egg frying PR circuit with a low watt/cheesy speaker pushed to the point of meltdown.

Me I've got both types of setups, I can do a big clean pedal platform, in stereo with huge chorus/delays/reverb/sampling with all kinds of preamps/pedals or I can break out the little 6v6 squank box with 1-12ax7, 1-6v6 and a 8" speaker and plug guitar straight in.

Or I can bust out clean amp and go guitar/comp/reverb/speaker and dump all the rest. Or run a wet/dry/wet setup using all the above.

Options tailored to your moods are your best friend. Keeping your setup static is recipe for getting bored with it.

EuroCool

-Head and 2x12 cab to make it easier to carry
-effects loop (If there is one, I prefer common effects loop for both channels)
-2-3 Channels or footswitchable volumeboost (This isn't necessity)
-Takes pedals well (Then I could go with one channel)
-Good master volume is always nice
-EL84 or EL34

Matchless Chieftainj for the one channel + pedals; does all this and some...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom