Suggest some tubes for a tweed deluxe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sonic Reducer, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I have a tweed that can take 6L6's without rebiasing. Right now I have 1 JJ 12ax7 and 1 GT Mullard RI 12ax7. I have a JJ GZ34 Rectifier, and two JJ 6V6's.

I'm looking for some 12aXX7 suggestions, a 5Y3 suggestion, and some 6L6's. Doesn't have to NOS. Current production is fine.

The amp gets pretty dirty pretty quickly. Looking for something that will maybe open it up a little.

2. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

I'm really digging the pair of Shuguang/TAD 6L6WGCs I got from Lord Valve.

3. joel

joel Member

I've recently gotten several pairs of used old stock RCA black-plate 6L6s for $60 and $75. Still kind of expensive, but cool. Watch in the emporium, and on the Weber for-sale board, and these go by occasionally. Likewise, you sometimes see used Mullard, Amperex, RCA 12AX7s for $15 or so. Mullards are my favorite.

4. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

is it an origional or a clone of some sort? the best way to open it up a bit is to rewire the volume controls like a brown deluxe (6G3 circuit). it really changes how the volume control works, more like what we are all used to. starts to get dirty at about 6 or 7 with a very gradual gradation.

i did it on my DIY 5E3 and love the results.

5. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

If you like 6L6s in the amp, try some 5881s. Most will say Tung Sol are best. I like them very much. A lot of 5881 guys are touting the TAD 6L6GWC which is a current production tube.
    5881s tend to have a softer response, so they could even take on a 6L6/6V6 hybrid type of tone when you really push the amp. Blackplate RCAs (like Joel said) are really good tubes also.

If your amp uses a 5Y3 rectifier tube, it may also accept a 5V4(G) which is a much better rectifier tube IMO. I've got several 5V4s, old Miniwatt ones, I will sell. PM if interested. If you gig with the amp, the rectifier tube is where I'd go NOS fo sho.

I love Telefunkens in tweed amps for the preamp. Air for days and a great extended top end. Mullards are also excellent, but really different. Usually more gain, and an awesome rich growl when throttled. You could also put "the tweed tube" in which is the 12AY7, and is about half (on average) of the gain of a 12AX7. This tube sounds really sweet, and takes a pedal very well. Many other lower gain direct subs out there that are great and much less expensive than 12AX7 tubes. 12AT7, 5751 etc.

I love tubes, and have a huge collection. If you are interested in any type of tube for your amp, PM me and we can talk. I guarantee every tube 100% money back.

:dude

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

7. slider313

8. slider313

Be careful with the 6L6 in place of a 6V6 in a tweed deluxe circut because filament voltage draw can be a problem and you can short that winding in your power tranny. You didn't say what type of speaker your using. A P12R can break up real quick. Mike

9. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Try a 5V4 (or maybe a 5AR4 rectifier, check with the amp maker to be sure the caps will handle the higher voltage) and some JAN Philips 6L6WGBs. These are barely more expensive than third world tubes and will outlast them 5:1 or more.

If you really want a 5Y3, the NOS Mazda ($20, again barely more than the cost of a Russian or other 3rd world tube, but MUCH higher quality) 5Y3GBs are great. They warm up slowly, extending the life of the other tubes in the amp if it doesn't have a standby switch.

For 12AX7s (a 5751 will make the amp run cleaner), Ruby STR 7025 or my favorite, RCA 12AX7A.

11. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

My Point Blank Tweed Deluxe (same amp) came with the TAD 6L6GWC tubes from Roy. I've put those in and played them along with the JJ 6V6 and while it gave a little more head room, it wasn't a lot. You have to remember that when all's said and done this is a Tweed Deluxe clone by any standards and tweeds by nature give it up earlier than other amps. That's part of their charm. That said there is another TAD (6L6GC - STR) that is supposed to be more like the RCA blackplate which could give you more head room than the 6L6GWC small bottles. However the Mojo folks recommend the small bottle one for tweed type/cathode biased amps.

I do see that Roy has changed the speaker on this to a Jensen P12N from the Mojo which I have in mine. Which is interesting because the Mojo's were 16 ohm and I believe the Jensen's only come in 8 ohm. He may have made some changes to the circuit.

12. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Just as an FYI, I bought a NOS GE 5Y3 from a friend of mine and ran the Point Blank this weekend with both the JJ6V6s and the TAD 6L6WGCs that Roy had provided me. I did not like the combo of 5Y3 and 6V6. Just gave it up way too early for me. While it did tame the volume (these amps are way loud) a lot it still went into grind mode really early. The 5Y3/6L6 combo was a different story. That showed more headroom than with the 6V6s but still helped tame the volume. I was actually able to run the volume on the bright channel up to about 4-5 (as opposed to 2-3 when using the 5AR4 with 6V6s). I don't know that it gives you a lot more head room but it does give you more useable room on the volume knob.

If volume isn't an issue I still think the 5AR4/6V6 combo is my favorite but the 5Y3/6L6 combo is pretty good too.

13. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Work that ol' guitar volume! As I recall the Blankenship Tweeds clean up real nicely.