Suggested location for RC Booster

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by davetcan, Sep 14, 2006.

1. davetcan

davetcan Member

Hi all,
    I have an RC Boost I'd like to add to my small pedalboard ( yes I can just squeeze it in), just wondered where would be best?

Path right now is

Guitar>WOF>Strob>TIM>OCD>Delay>Amp

[​IMG]

thanks,

Dave

2. cameron

cameron Member

I'd put it last. After the delay. That's assuming you want to use it as a boost for solos.

Do you use the OCD for your crunch rhythm sound? Or the TIM? or both?

In either case, the RC would do fine to boost your sound in the mix to fill out a solo. I use the RC in that manner, and I use its EQ controls to lower the highs and boost the lows. That way, I avoid sounding too spiky when kicking in the boost. I've noticed (when standing in the house listening to other bands) that often when a guitarist engages a boost to make himself louder during a solo, the soundman will react by turning him down in the mix. Using the RC to lower the highs is my strategy to keep soundmen from doing that. It's not the volume they're reacting too - it's the harsh treble. So I run the RC to boost my signal and I set the EQ controls at about 9:00 treble, 1:00 bass.

3. davetcan

davetcan Member

Thanks Cameron, that's exactly how I want to use it. I tend to use the OCD for crunchy rhythm by rolling of the guitar volume to taste. As you can see I have the drive set fairly high but it responds so well to the volume control it's very versatile.

4. cameron

cameron Member

I hadn't actually looked at your OCD settings, but they're not that different from mine. When I was using the OCD regularly I ran with the drive at just shy of 3:00. I found that I lost some bass response with the drive at 3:00 or beyond. I ran the tone control at around noon, but at the time I was mostly using my G&L F-100, which is pretty bright sounding on the bridge pickup.

5. sinner

sinner Member

You're gonna love the RC, but where you gonna fit it? (you said you could squeeze it in, but things look tight already!).

6. davetcan

davetcan Member

How about this?. It places the RC after the OCD but before the delay. Not sure how that will impact tone but I'll have some time later to play around with it.

[​IMG]

7. TimH

TimH Member

Dave this is how I'd do it if I were you...keep the gain out in front of the delay. Hope you're enjoying it!

8. Leb

Leb Member

anyone here leaves the RC on all the time? for me it fattens the tone big time but is it a waste to leave it on always instead of using it as a boost?

leb

9. TimH

TimH Member

making your tone better is never a waste.

10. missingMN

missingMN Member

Hi,

I leave mine on all the time, it is directly after my tuner so essentially first in line. I have a Savage Rohr and the RC booster really fattens/sweetens the tone. I especially hear it when I am playing clean but my it also smoothes out the crunch on when i go distorted. I would use another pedal for your lead boost, i use the AC booster for that.

regards,
    B

11. iggs

iggs Member

On all the time, last in the chain, fattens the sound and drives that long cable to the amp ... love it!

12. dave s

dave s Member

Cameron:

Good info on how to better use the RC than I'm currently using mine. Another question: How much gain do you run on the RC. I'm finding that with my copy, the volume and gain are 'interactive' in a sense that with volume full on and the gain at zero, not much volume boost is possible. That said, I have to run the gain up to around 10:00 to get any appreciable volume boost.

Does this sound normal? Or, is my pedal not working correctly?

thanks,

dave

13. davetcan

davetcan Member

Well I spent an hour or so playing with it last night and I'm very impressed with it where I have it in the last pic. I'm also considering leaving it on all the time, I really like how it sounds.If that becomes my final decision I'll set up the Tim for lower gain leads and use it's built in boost for an extra kick when necessary. I'll use the OCD for higher gain stuff and the volume knob on the guitar to control the level when using the OCD. I also have a Reezafratzitz coming (although it appears to be lost in the mail somewhere) and that may change everything :jo

(Sure is fun though) :)

14. cameron

cameron Member

I haven't tinkered that much with low gain settings. I usually run the gain at around 12:00 or 1:00. This adds just a little bit of hair to the sound, but that little bit fattens up somewhat with the gain from the OCD stacked into it. No problems getting a volume boost at that point.

Some pedals are set up where the gain control is like the volume control on a master volume amp. Maybe the RC is like that. Like I said, haven't tinkered in that fashion. The Menatone Top Boost In A Can is a good example of a pedal where lowering the gain to nothing actually removes the signal entirely.

15. JimmyD

JimmyD Member

RC's been on my board the past 1.5 yrs, last in line and always on. +1 on driving that long cable to the amp! RC's rock!

Jim

16. radcliff

radcliff Member

right after the wah and vibe

before my zendrive and fulldrive, it carries the signal through the long line of true bypass, on for alot of the time

17. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

Mine is first in line and on almost all the time depending on the style of music and which guitar I'm using. I don't use it for much boost but the sound sure fattens up.

18. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

First in line. It was designed to be first which is why it does the impedance switching. Similar to the Valvulator concept it's supposed to eliminate signal loss.

jeffhef

19. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

The RC's the best IMO for what it does. God knows I've bought/tried many clean boosts in my rig over the years. I keep my RC first, as I use mainly single coils and I want that signal boost right up front. It pushes everything down the line.

20. JimmyD

JimmyD Member

I've may have to rethink the placement of my RC. I've never tried it upfront on my board, but its probably worth the effort to experiment. My signal could be Cylde Deluxe, RC, FDII, AC, phaser, chorus --->AMP.

Any comments?

Jim