Suggested Order of Effects?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 59burst, Mar 29, 2015.

1. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

I've dabbled with effects over the years, but I'm putting everything together on a board for once as my current band situation will (I think) benefit from more sonic variation.

I'm sort of a dummy when it comes to ordering effects and sites/articles I read on the topic get me part of the way there.

Here's what I have and the order. I am open to suggestions for better ordering or someone telling me what I'm doing wrong! :)

0. Guitar
    1. Barber Tone Press compressor
    2. Cry Baby 535Q wah
    3. Electro Harmonix POG2 octave generator
    4. Menatone Blue Collar overdrive
    5. MXR Carbon Copy delay
    6. Fulltone Choralflange chorus/flanger
    7. Amp

Again, I'm not experienced lining all the effects up; I typically plug in just one or two.

Help is appreciated! Thanks!

2. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I think the way you have it will sound great. My basic rule is: dirt, then delay. Or, really, anything that manipulates gain or EQ first, then any time-based stuff, including modulation like chorus, reverb, or flanging. The only thing that seems to make a huge difference in where it goes, for me, is the wah pedal. For that, you'll have to experiment and see what you prefer. I ended up with fuzz->wah->distortion.

Your POG2 might be one you could move around. Not sure about that one. My thoughts would be to try it last...

3. 59burst

Thanks for your comments. I came up with this order after reading a bunch of articles and yes the POG2 seems to be the one I can't quite classify.

I like having the Choralflange after it because I can sort of simulate a Leslie with it, so a B-3 emulation in the POG2 going into the CF sounds pretty good in a band context. But I haven't tried the POG2 last - I might give that a go.

4. hotmod

hotmod Member

I'd place the delay last in chain before the amp and the octaver after the od.

5. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Supporting Member

What kind of amp do you have? Is there an effects loop?

6. bjfly17

bjfly17 Member

Fully agree with this suggestion. But open to the way you have it. Experiment with it and go with what works for you.

7. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

I'd put the comp after the wah - theoretically might be a touch noisier there when both are engaged but comp can be nice to help smooth out the wah's peaks. Worth a try.

Also, I like my flanger effect (which I use more like a chorus than an airplane taking off sound) before dirt (but after the octave, wah, comp etc).

Otherwise you've got it how I'd order them.

8. bjfly17

bjfly17 Member

Very good point. Dependent on the wah, your compressor may help with any noisy resonance peaks when sweeping through the spectrum with the wah.

9. 59burst

My amps at home are all over the map - Orange Dark Terror, Victoria Soulcactus, Sewell Texaverb, and Fender CS Dual Professional. Our rehearsal studio comes set up with gear, and I'm typically playing through a Marshall half stack (I think it might be a JVM but I'm not sure). In all my years, I've never used an effects loop. :eek: I might look into that.

Thanks - the more I think about it, that makes sense.

Thanks for the idea on the comp - I'll give it a go.

Appreciate all the ideas and suggestions. There are so many combinations, it's hard to remember what they sound like when I change things up, and sometimes the clean order seems to not be the best order for high gain and vice versa. I'm going down the rabbit hole! :drown

10. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I would put the delay last in the chain. Other than that, it looks good to me.

11. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I'd put the delay last in the chain.

I never had any issues with pitch detection with the POG2, but since it detects pitch and is polyphonic, if you put it before overdrive, it might detect off uper harmonics produced from the overdrive.

I've never tested this, but would be easy to test. I sold my POG when the b9 came out.

12. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

I would start with...

Wah > Comp > Octave > OD > Choral/Flange > Delay

And go from there.

13. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Well, if you're wanting the B-3 emulation, you've got the order right. POG before Chorus/Flange. I have a Ross Flanger I use on and off for organ-like rhythm work and I can see how the octave generator would have to hit it first. But I have no experience with the POG stuff. I get my B3 chords from triad voicings. The POG always looked good to me, but I never had the courage to pull the trigger...

14. NielsM

NielsM Member

:agree

15. 59burst

Ha ha, this is me for most of the past 25 years! (I did experiment with a rack of effects in the 80s, but that was short-lived.)

Still, over the years I accumulated a few pedals for specific situations and my current band situation seems to be calling for more colors so I'm taking the effects and putting them all together.

Thanks a lot for the help, everyone! I have a busy work week, but this coming weekend, I'll organize things with the wah first, the delay last, and then see if I can determine the best order for the POG2 and the od.

Off and running ...