• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Suggested settings on VFE Alpha Dog for "vintage Rat" sounds?

0xeneye

Does anyone have both the Alpha Dog and a vintage Rat, and can they determine what the settings on VFE Alpha Dog would be for "vintage Rat" sounds?

dave_mc

never tried either, but i have a vague idea how the circuits work.

assuming the vfe is a straight clone (but with switchable options), and the labelled switches do what he says they do:

gain, level and filter should be the controls a vintage rat has. so it's just a matter of setting the other switches to make the circuit the same as a vintage rat.

set the soft clipping switch to "L". the original rat only had hard clipping.

set the hard clipping switch to "V". (conversely, setting this switch to the "T" position should give you a turbo rat.)

not sure about the fat control. maybe you could email VFE to see where to set it to be closest to a vintage rat. It didn't mention how to do that (unless i missed it) on his website.

carltonh

IIRC, the fat control should be set fully counter-clockwise to be authentic rat. Using the fat control is to make it more overdrive than distortion.

redchapterjubilee

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Killer Rabbit (Scream/Alpha Dog 2-in-1) and I keep the Fat control about halfway up. V and L, tone at about 2 o'clock, distortion at about 10 o'clock and volume at 2 o'clock. If I want a gainier sound I turn the distortion up and bring the volume back.

JamesSGBrown

Hard clipping at V, soft at L is the clipping options for the vintage Rat sound. Fat control should be off, I have gain around 10-11 o'clock, Filter around 2-3

Trending Topics

Top Bottom