Suggestions for a good microhead for hard rock and metal

Muz of Oz

:dudeIt’s my 22nd Wedding anniversary coming up and I want to get my wife something nice, so what nicer thing than new gear? I’m thinking of a new bass amp head, in the middle sort of price range and good for metal and hard rock which is her preferred style. I don’t know much about where to start thinning the herd of choices, so a few suggestions from players with experience would be great. She’s using a Peavey VB410 cab.

somedude

Mesa Subway. Any of them will work. My preference is the WD800 as the tube preamp gives it good feel and it’s capable of enough breakup.

That said, I haven’t tried the new TT-800, which is based on the old Mesa Bass 400/400+, which is one of the more iconic hard rock/metal bass amps of all time.

That said, the most iconic hard rock/metal bass head would be the Ampeg SVT and the Porta-Flex 500/800 has the basic Ampeg flavour nailed down.

Platypus

not in rivers, but in drops
Silver Supporting Member
I haven't personally played one, but the Orange Little Bass Thing looks like it might fit the bill and is worth checking out on this search

Muz of Oz

Traynor SB500H Fantastic head - Made in Canada
I’ve read good stuff about Traynor gear, but unfortunately getting it in Australia isn’t anywhere near as easy as finding Ampeg and Markbass stuff. I’m leaning toward the Ampeg stuff I think. Tho I’ve found a couple of excellent condition used Genz Benz Streamliner heads online around the place and they’ve got my attention too. Don’t know much about them yet but they look nice. Thanks for your suggestions, it gives me a good place to start my quest for a nice present.

Last edited:

olejason

Mesa Subway is currently the hottest thing in bass amps IMO and very affordable used (compared to similarly hyped guitar gear).

Also worth mentioning:
Aguilar TH series
Aguilar AG series
Genzler
Darkglass

I am going to suggest a not micro but still smaller class D head the Peavey MiniMega Very versatile sounding and Priced right . 1000 watts at 4 ohms.

sprag

Aguilar TH

The TH 500 is plenty loud sounds great (I've got one) and come up second hand reasonably often.
Has a baked in old school rock tone but can do clean if you twist the knobs right.

I also have a bergantino B|amp which is amazing. You can pick up a forte for cheaper with a few less bells and whistles.

Haven't tried the darkglass but hear good things. However it's their dirt sound in their various amps and if it's not to your wife's taste then its kind of pricey for some extras she won't use.

The old genz benz gear is top notch kit.

somedude

IMO, the drawback to Darkglass is that you get one distortion pedal built into the head and the clean tone is nothing to write home about. Personally, I’d rather just get their pedals and use them into whatever amp I feel like.

feet

Gold Supporting Member
I recently got into biamping for my recordings (clean lows, distorted highs) and it sounds immense for metal. Still full and round but with articulation and cut from the extra grind. So I'd advise looking into something that allows that; orange made a couple of things that do. Maybe tech 21?

eddiemac

With a 4-10, you might be able to get away with a Gallien Krueger MB200 - great little amp, sounds good, very lightweight, compact, and cheap. Seriously! There's a lot more there in that little beast than its size would suggest.

Last edited:

Markoized

I have a Traynor Small Block 106 combo. It's loud for a little thing, a good price if you can find it used. They're made to last a long time.

Trending Topics