• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Suggestions for a Humbucker in Fat Strat

philcoleman4

I'm trying to put a humbucker in the bridge for my highway one strat. But I'm not sure what to put in it. I have a few ideas like Suhr, Duncan, Gibson, etc. But that's really all I know, so I'm looking to see if there's any other ones out there that I could put in it. I'm open to as many suggestions as possible.

philcoleman4

Anyone with sugguestions? Looking for something not to hot, but just right amount of output that sounds big and beefy but with lots of clarity.

philcoleman4

I'm not really thinking about either I just want something big and fat, that's not overpowering to the single coils, but still cuts through the mix.

mwc2112

Gold Supporting Member
Maybe a SD Pearly Gates? That's a pretty popular choice for Strats. Great sounding pup too.

benjammin420

Personally i think a PAF would be great. I like the pearly gates, but theyre definatly hot. Something like a mild Gibson would match the single coils nicely

1973Marshall

I dig the Pearly.

I feel the Custom 5 lacks mids.

Umm Dimarzio 36th Anniv Bridge Model.

I put a Gibson 57 Classic in my Strat and I dig it.

bek

I used an SD 59 neck in the bridge spot in an SSH Strat with a pair of very low-output singles, and it sounded pretty much like you are describing. With your higher-output singles, a bridge 59 might be better. Or you could get something made for you by someone like Pete Biltoft of VintageVibe or Jon Moore of ToneForDays. They'll make just what you want, and it won't be too expensive.

I used an SD 59 neck in the bridge spot in an SSH Strat with a pair of very low-output singles, and it sounded pretty much like you are describing. With your higher-output singles, a bridge 59 might be better. Or you could get something made for you by someone like Pete Biltoft of VintageVibe or Jon Moore of ToneForDays. They'll make just what you want, and it won't be too expensive.
I've got a couple bridge Seth Lovers; I may give this a try. I like the looks of a metal cover paired with vintage single coil N + M. The braided cable has been holding me up.

JZG

Silver Supporting Member
Fralin offers a 9k, F-spaced Unbucker specifically for this application. When split in the bridge/mid position, it taps the stronger coil, which is 5.5k.

Trending Topics