Suggestions for Acoustic Effects

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by customguitars87, Jul 14, 2019.

1. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

So I picked up a Carvin AC275 a little while back that I'm absolutely loving, really sounds terrific through my Fishman Loudbox amp. The Fishman has chorus and reverb onboard, but lacks a few other effects that I'd enjoy using with this type of guitar (delay, maybe tremolo, etc).

I know that there's technically nothing wrong with using regular effects pedals with this type of set up, but I'm curious if there's anything you guys would recommend in terms of pedals made for acoustic-electrics (preferably doable in the $200ish range used maybe, not looking to go too crazy).

I've seen a few from Fishman, etc but they seem to be more focused on emulating different types of guitars than actual effects.

Here's the guitar in question, love to hear any ideas on something that might do the trick!

[​IMG]

2. feet

feet Supporting Member

there aren't too, too many options "made" for acoustic guitars. fishman (tone dec) and lr baggs each have a few, for instance. the shortest answer would be to use what you already have, as most do. the slightly less short answer would be to consider whether you just want effects or you want a whole preamp thing with eq and di and other handy, dandy acoustic minded features and effects. you should be able to sort yourself out pretty easily after that.

given you're budget conscious, i'd point you toward a zoom ms70cdr, which has everything you could need in a stomp box. takes a little practice to work the thing, though.

but seriously, if you already have stuff, i'd pillage your other boards first before buying something. it can turn out ok.

3. romo

romo Supporting Member

Love those strymon videos. I have an El Capistan I’ve been using on my acoustic board and I think it sounds great.

4. Naigewron

Naigewron Member

Compressor is an always-on pedal whenever I play acoustic. I switch between fingerstyle and pick a lot, so it helps even out dynamics and volume.

Other than that, I'll use any "electric" effect on acoustic, except drive. Tremolo, chorus, delay, reverb, clean boost, etc.

But the biggest gamechanger for me is using an IR loader and putting an acoustic IR in there - Such a massive difference in sound; it really gets rid of the dull piezo tone and approaches a properly miced up acoustic.

Here's a short Instagram clip I made demonstrating the acoustic IR (piezo first, then IR):

5. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Thanks! My thing is I don't really want to deconstruct my board and move pedals around every time I want to switch from electric to acoustic-electric (which is often), and I really don't want to buy doubles of what I have because most of the stuff on my board isn't cheap...

I was hoping to find something like a decent quality multi-FX unit that'll work well for the Fishman + Carvin setup...the amp and guitar together already sound INCREDIBLE so I'm really just looking for some decent quality effects like delay, tremolo, etc. The chorus and reverb on the Loudbox are great so those needs are covered. I'll definitely look into the Zoom (also came across a Yamaha Magicstomp...not sure if anyone's had experience with those but seems like an OK option).

Nice, that's neat! I suppose I can look into some less expensive but still quality single pedals as well...since all I really need is delay, tremolo, and maybe one other effect I can probably get away with a few quality used pedals on a small board in the price range I'm sticking to. I don't have any issues with the piezo tone being dull with the Fishman Loudbox, on the contrary it sounds incredibly warm and full. Really just looking to add a few effects to the mix that aren't available as part of the Loudbox.

6. Naigewron

Naigewron Member

Any reason you can't just use your electric board for your acoustic? That's what I do; I just don't turn on my drives.

As for multi-FX, something line the Line6 HX Stomp will definitely work.

vibrostrat43 and Steve Hotra like this.
  7. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Really just logistical issues based on where this stuff is located in my house...I could certainly do that but I would prefer to have those two rigs separate and not have to swap cables in and out, etc...plus I have a really large pedalboard so I'd really only be using one or two of those pedals with the acoustic. Seems to just make more sense to have an "electric" rig and an "acoustic" rig. Will look into the HX!

vibrostrat43 and Naigewron like this.
  8. redir

redir Member

I thought the Loudbox had a simple delay on it? I've not played mine in a while but I could swear it had delay.

But anyway... My two must have's for acoustic guitar is compression and EQ.

9. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

The big ones do, but since I don't really gig with my acoustic rig and mostly use it for recording at home / in the studio I have a Loudbox Mini, which just has Chorus and Reverb onboard.

redir likes this.
  10. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Supporting Member

the only EFX I would want to play with re: acoustic are
    delay for the hippy, trippy crap
    chorus for a huge-sounding B section or solo section
    verb - for everything
    if compression is required for the gig-space; I'd put it first in that chain(watch out for that feedback boys) but never in the studio where I might want dynamics like crazy - to be adjusted "InTheBox
    but I can't imagine any other "exotic" GTR EFX witha nice-sounding GTR :
    ring mod - hard hell no
    fuzz - god no
    phaser - don't think so
    flang - also not gonna happen
    octaver - what do you think I'm gonna say here . . . ?
    distort - I'd rather strum or solo a bit louder for a short passage, thank you
    but whatever floats your boat
    peace

11. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Yep I never had any desires to use distortion or anything with this rig, really just looking for an effect or two that isn't offered in the Loudbox Mini (delay being the most desirable because I do use it often). The more I think about it and look over my options the more I think I'm just going to maybe get a quality delay pedal (maybe even something meant for use with acoustics, LR Baggs makes a few in their "Align" series) and call it a day. I'll test out my compressor with the rig too to see if I like it better, but I really am very much in love with the tones I get from just the Mini and the Carvin together.

12. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

It's hard to beat a BOSS digital delay for an acoustic/electric guitar. I have used my DD-5 with a tap tempo switch for years exclusively in my acoustic setup. The DD-7 would be it's replacement if it ever gives out... but I don't think it will.

13. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

From my experience, acoustic-electric guitars are not too picky about effects. I've used almost every effect from Mooer, Boss, and Strymon and the Mooer ensemble chorus sounds as good as the Strymon Ola on acoustics. Every Boss effects pedal sounds as good as any for acoustics.

Barnzy likes this.
  14. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

I have to agree with this too. I like pretty much every modulation effect from my electric rig when tried in my acoustic signal chain. My only exception to the use of electric guitar pedals here is with regard to overdrives, distortions and fuzz. None of those land on my acoustic board. For me, that type of sound doesn't seem to have a place there anyway with what I am playing.

15. andrekp

andrekp Member

Comp (optical), chorus, delay, trem, reverb. My trem can be a boost, so if you don’t have a way to boost for soloing, that can be helpful. That covers most anything you’ll need for acoustic tone shaping. A lot of people say EQ, but I think if your guitar has a preamp with TMB and maybe more, that’s enough if your guitar sounds good to start with.

I’d add a looper, if you use that sort of thing.

The issue if whether an effect made for electric passes enough of the frequency spectrum, or if you lose a lot of lows. They are all different, you just have to try them a see. Sometimes effects for bass can work well.

16. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

I currently use a Q-Tron, Boss SD-1, Keeley 1962, and a Carbon Copy delay, in that order.

My guitar has played nicely with a variety of pedal types and manufacturers.

themannamedbones likes this.
  17. themannamedbones

themannamedbones Member

I’ve even used super low levels of distortion pedals in recording.

You should ask this question in the effects section, lively crew there.

18. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

I have the same model guitar.. Just got it last week to play with my electric band..What a great instrument...... I have 1 pedalboard that works for both electric and acoustic... For the Carvin I use a Luxe detune pedal, a Dr. Scientist Cleanness EQ and a Lovepedal Reverb and Delay. No compressors! Being a lead guitarist as well I can get some very sweet overdrive tones using a Lovepedal OD11 and Deluxe . Keeping the active treble lower on the guitar keeps the overdrive tones sweet....

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  19. Me Again

Me Again Member

Look at the Zoom G3. Super easy, super affordable, way more effects than you'll need, but it has all the good ones and more, and they're all very tweakable to your liking. I've been doing solo gigs with mine, and a looper, for many years.