Suggestions for an acoustic pickup

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by shiggityshaw, Jan 16, 2015.

1. shiggityshaw

shiggityshaw Member

Just got a new gibson acoustic that doesn't have electronics installed. I want to use it for a gigging guitar and need some advice on pickups. I see that gibson uses the lr baggs element whenever they install them from the factory.

What are some the the favorites out there?

Or should I just skip the pickup and us a mic? I would really hate to widen the pin hole to fit a pickup and destroy my new shiny gibson.

Thanks in advance.

2. dgonz

dgonz Member

I have Takamine Tri-Ax I used on my Taylor and Martin D28. It's actually an LR Baggs M1A, but rebranded for Takamine, and a flat black instead of that godawful shiny cream color.

In any case, run it through an LR Baggs Para-DI box, and straight into whatever PA I'm working with. I'm funny about my live tone, and play everything from blues leads, mild to heavy strumming, fingerstyle jazz and a lot in between. I'm pretty happy with this set up, and it's much better than the factory Taylor ES system. The Para-DI can dial in great tones and dial out honk and feedback pretty quick and easy.

3. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    I installed a K&K Pure Western Mini system in my Martin D18 - purely passive system that won't have you cursing when you get to the gig and find that the 9 volt battery inside the guitar is dead - no battery!
    I plugged it directly into our PA and it sounded OK, but as soon as I introduced a Baggs Para DI into the chain, the improvement was noticeable.

4. royd

royd Member

you left out the most important pieces of the puzzle... where are you playing, with what other instruments, and how loud. How much can you spend, how complicated can the rig be, and what will the rest of the rig look like? And finally what compromises can you make between the impact on your guitar, your playing style, feedback resistance, cost, and the above mentioned complexity? Finally, each type of pickup has its own sound characteristics... is there one type whose sound you prefer over the others? Those answers will narrow your choices or even tell you what to purchase.

5. jsm355

jsm355 Member

Look into B- Band systems as well .

All the best .

6. quilsaw

quilsaw Supporting Member

+1 Yup. Wouldn't even attempt to answer your question without that sort of additional information.