Suggestions for an always on pedal...

4styx

I run a wah into TS-10(drive at noon)into fuzz(classic rock sounds).I like the way it tightens up a fuzz,but after 15 years I'm getting pretty tired of the TS sound.What else should I try(must clean up)? Thanx.

I used to use clean boosts set low as always on pedals at the end of the chain. Lately I've used the Tim set to slight dirt and the Throbak Overdrive Boost and I'm much more satisfied with it.

lspaulsp

Gold Supporting Member
MXR Dyna Comp - vol 60% comp 40% or vice versa if you like.
Never turn it off......

trivial

Silver Supporting Member
Why not get an amp that you like the tone of when it is on sans pedals... Call me old fashioned. :)

Sniper-V

Why not get an amp that you like the tone of when it is on sans pedals... Call me old fashioned. :)
You're right...

But,

When I describe a pedal as an "always on", I'm referring to that the pedal sounds so good you don't want to turn it off.

Some pedals that I like "always on":
  • Diamond Memory Lane
  • A nice warm verb pedal right now I'm using Holy Grail
  • A transparent Comp like Tone Press
  • A transparent Boost in the front

benabloom

I think you really oughta get a COT50 . If not you should definately try a COT50. Or if your against that, get yourself a COT50 and be done with it.

-B:)

gtrshow

A few that have worked well for me in that capacity (almost always on)...

Java Boost
Box of Rock (boost side)
Silver Kiss
Timmy
Tone Press
Hot Cake

Oh yeah, and the COT50. :D

nibus

Tone Press for sure
Durham Sex Drive
Gaspedals Carb on boost mode
Austone Soul-o-stomp
BBE Sonic Maximizer (might be too bright for some setups)

these are some good options

rul8agn

I never turn off my Tone Press. I usually leave my boost side of my BOR on also. I am looking for a better clean boost pedal though. Maybe a SCP, Bad Bob, Katana, Java, etc. I would then leave that on at all times and use the boost from my BOR when needed.

Shredcow

For an overdrive, I'd recommend the Blackstone MOSFET overdrive.

2 channels of overdrive/distortion - the ability to clean up to totally clean via volume knob on lower gain channel - ability to clean up somewhat to a diff tone via vol knob on higher gain channel - stacks like a beast!

Works fab with picking dynamics!

Just... make sure you got no buffered stuff before it...

Dr. Lo

When I play either my Strat or my Brian May "Red Special" through my overdriven Orange Tiny Terror, I always have a treble booster on (a BBE Freq Boost). Makes the tone thick and focused (no mud whatsoever).

Trending Topics