Suggestions for dirty rhythm OD pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jtw, Sep 12, 2005.

1. jtw

jtw Member

Ok, I've done a bunch of research on this, both here and elsewhere on the web, and now I need you all to chime in with your suggestions. I'm looking for a dirty rhythm overdrive pedal to leave on pretty much all the time. I'm using a Dr. Z Z28 primarily, and would like a pedal with a nice thick bottom, singing mids, and sparkly-but-not-shrill high end, and sounds very 'open'. I don't really want a pedal that will compress at all really. (That's a lot to ask, I know!).

Any and all suggestions welcome. I have a few ideas myself, but I'm really interested in any opinions you all might have for this. Thanks!

2. mprvise

mprvise Member

I'm currently using an OCD for this purpose and lovin' it! I'm using it in front of a 50W 6L6 amp. I'm not familiar with the Z28, but the OCD does not work well for me when used with my EL84 amps. Try before you buy if at all possible.

3. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

Sounds like a Timmy would do the trick.

4. king-albert

king-albert Supporting Member

I used to have a Z-28 2x10 combo and after trying a few OD's, the one that really sounded great with the amp was a HAO Sole Pressure. The pedal is supposed to resemble a cranked up Bassman and it really worked well with the Z-28. It held it's bottom end well, and the highs were nice and not eardrum-piercing. Just my 2 cents.

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

The Barber Silver LTD is a very nice sounding OD, Its stated as a Low Gain Drive pedal but it still has a good deal of drive thats sounds very open.

If your looking for a higher gained pedal check out the new version od the Barber Direct Drive, I use both of these pedals with remarkable amp like tones!

6. ambient1

ambient1 Guest

I dig both the TIM and the LTD. some really great tones to be had.

Tim for less compressed and more full sounds

LTD for compressed but cool stuff

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I've gotta recommend the TC Jauernig Diabolical Gristle Tone Manipulator.

It's got a toggle switch, right for open ended, transparent OD and left for a more compressed OD. The Tone knob will give you what you're looking for. Excellent low/mid gain pedal in the style of a keeley modded BD-2, but better (and cheaper!)

8. ambient1

ambient1 Guest

The DGTM is a cool pedal -very very much like a LTD but a touch brighter in the top end and with much less bass.

Worth a look though

9. 6789

6789 Member

My vote is for the Blackstone.

10. bigroy

bigroy Member

Try an Xotic RC Booster, and let it "shove" your amp in the direction you want. I have used mine with a Maz 18, and now lovin' it with a Top Hat Club Deluxe.

11. D.G.

D.G. Member

Why not use a Hotplate or Weber Mass? Your best light overdrive tones will always come from the amp itself. Otherwise, what you're asking for is a Varidrive with a Mullard 12AT7.

12. muddy

muddy Member

the bjf honey bee!!

ml

13. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

What are your ideas???

14. jtw

jtw Member

First off, thank you guys so much for the suggestions. All this info is giving me a lot to think about.

mrbluetone, I have been thinking that a Zendrive might be cool, and I've emailed with Alf a bit and he's a super guy, very helpful. Also thought about the OCD, as mprvise suggested earlier, as well as maybe one of Brian Mena's offerings. I have an older orange Fulldrive that I've been using with the Z28 (which is kind of like a tweed/brown Deluxe, for reference) and it's too compressed in that configuration for my taste. Also been using a Keeley TS-9, but again, not quite hitting the mark. Both are great pedals, just haven't been totally sold on using either one of them as my main rhythm OD through this amp.

Thanks again guys, and keep 'em coming.

15. javahut

javahut Member

Menatone Red Snapper is a great sounding pedal w/ my MAZ 18. Can be used for clean boost to on the edge distortion and pushes the amp really well.

Canartic - Headphone Test

16. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

+1

17. jtw

jtw Member

just ordered a Zendrive from Alf. Too many good things being said about them here :)

Thanks to all for your suggestions, and I very well may pick up another couple of ODs as well pretty soon.