Suggestions for filling up my "Hendrix" Board.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BluePowder, Oct 12, 2006.

1. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I've already assembled for myself a board which can do the whole hardrock sound, I'm currently using this board with very good results in my band. Sounds really great both in the studio and live as well!

:dude For once I am completely happy with my tone. :dude

However I've got a few pedals extra lying around, they are mostly old school type pedals, overdrive, fuzz, octavia, vibe. I would like to put together a nice board with these pedals to give me the whole Hendrix type vibe.

This is what I have right now...
    [​IMG]
    I've already experimented with the order of the effects, the TCJ Gristle King give me a really smooth overdrive and adds a really nice boost to the Sunface, the Ultimate Octave set with minimal amounts of fuzz gives me a pretty decent octavia tone ran together with the Sunface. I initially had problems with the Mojovibe working well with the Sunface, but thanks to the great advice here on the board, I managed to find a great sound which I love. Played around with the internal dip switches and the trim pot...instant Hendrix! without sounding too phasey of course.

The Wah is not pictured, but I have a Wizard wah which I will be using in this board too.

The board I will be using is a pedaltrain style board made by a friend of mine. I'm not really sure what I'm missing right now, a delay is right for sure, I have yet to decide on a model. I'm really tempted to add a compressor, there's an Analogman Bi-comp available at my local dealer right now, a big part of me wants to get it for the sake of doing so. Uncontrollable gas perhaps, I don't even know whether I need one.

Any suggestions would be great. What suggestions do you fellas have concerning the pedals or type of effects I should add into this new board?

Thanks guys!:AOK

Appreciate it!

Christopher.

2. gillibi

gillibi Member

3. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Yeah there is a Wah it's not in the picture, but I did indicate it in my first post. It's an RMC Wizard. :)

4. gillibi

gillibi Member

My bad, must have skipped over that part.

How about a nice echo and flange...although Hendrix didn't use this stuff live there was a good amount of it done in the studio.

5. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

What kind of application are you using this for? Are you playing live or by yourself? What kind of amp are you using?
    In reference to the compressor - I think that for a Hendrix vibe you probably want more dynamics rather than less. Much of his style of playing involved using the volume knob to really change the dynamics of things. Plus the fuzzes and overdrives will compress the signal a bit.

You might check out Doyle bramhall II's setup (just search a thread about his pedalboard). He has what I describe as a modern take on the Hendrix tone.

Good luck!

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Hendrix did use studio flanging effects on some tracks after they were recorded...

I recommend the Deluxe Memory Man, but there was a cool stereo analog delay in the emporium yesterday made by Ross for $190.. looked cool!

7. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Hey gtrfinder thanks for mentioning Doyle's setup, I totally forgot about his board.

What you mentioned is actually what I am pursuing a modern take on the Hendrix theme, perhaps something like Deviltone's board. He's got some really great tones on his as well.

8. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

lovepedal cot50... just to add a little bit of 5 o'clock shadow to your cleans...

9. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Nice rig already. +1 that you should get a good delay. And judging from the boutique quality of your gear, I'd suggest looking at the Maxon or maybe even the Moog.

10. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

The Moog scares the hell outta me ;)

I'm not all that picky about delays, I prefer the transparent pristine tones of digital delays, the "warmer" sometimes muddier analog tones do not really agree with my tone tastes.

But I'm willing to give it a go!

Fifthstone, which Maxon do you recommend?

Thanks for the comments fellas! :)

11. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've tried out the AD999 and thought it sounded really nice. The clips on their site are pretty accurate. Couldn't afford it though. They're pretty expensive. I use a Rocktron Short Timer which gives me everything I need and actually sounds REALLY good (though the switch pops the first time you hit it). Bypassed tone is actually pretty decent.

12. erksin

erksin Member

My suggestion as well...

13. drolling

drolling Member

+1 on the delay, tho' it's not essential for most of Jimi's material.

Honestly, I'd say you're about done - and the pedals you have are as good as it gets.

I like wah in front of fuzz, so I added a FoxRox booster kit to my old VOX wah, to help it cut thru' my fuzz & octavia pedals, which are often on at the same time (octave before fuzz).

I also rarely use my vibe (Ultravibe!) w/o overdrive, and prefer the tone w/the OD after the vibe, for that "Marshall on 11" powertube distortion.

W/that setup of yours (and a strat, of course), you should easily be able to nail just about every tone Jimi gets on the Band of Gypsies concert (my all-time favorite live Hendrix) as well as Robin Trower's sound, even Michael Landau's tones.

And you'll be able to cop a lot of Doyle's, too - His pedalboard's ridiculously huge, but you have the basics covered w/the 4 pedals in your pic plus the Teese.

14. robinson slick

robinson slick Member

hmmm, maybe some scarves, a headband, and some good LSD??...ok, a bad joke, but seriously, maybe a "'boomerang"??? Randy Hansen uses one with some really beautiful results, and he's probably the best Hendrix player out there (at least that I've ever heard, check out his 'Hendrix by Hansen' CD...wow!)...it's especially useful for the backwards stuff...

15. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

16. hb_nz

hb_nz Member

One suggestion I would give is the Foxrox Paradox TZF flanger - gives the "through-zero" flanging like Hendrix used on "House Burning Down" and Bold as Love". There's some good clips of it on the Foxrox website. Maybe get a silicon fuzz as well for the later Hendrix sounds...

17. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Add a BYOC Wah with built in buffer ($125) and a Jacques Prisoner delay ($199) and your done!

18. eric-d

eric-d Member

'86 the Ultimate Octave and get a RM Octavia.

19. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

You got the bases covered well...what's the amp?

20. K Randall

K Randall Member

Yes Randy Hansen uses a boomerang-he was playing the riff & then lead on 'Pali Gap' thru his Megavibe pedal(vibrato setting)-Killer! Randy's pedalboard is all purple pedals(my pedals)-KR Musical Products)to get the Hendrix tone:
    Megavibe,Gypsy Fuzz,wah I made for him-the soundbites on mywebsite are of Randy playing thru my pedals with a strat & 73 Marshall plexi!http://www.krmusicalproducts.com yes Randy can play it all!:dude