Suggestions for new pickups on a Hamer Echotone

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by piloto117, Jan 25, 2012.

1. piloto117

piloto117 Member

Hey guys, I just recently bought a Hamer Echotone to experience my first semi hollowbody gtr. The guitar's actually quite nice but the pickups suck! The neck pickup is a little bit more musical, but the bridge one is a dog!
    I'm interested in Dimarzios PAFS or SD Antiquities, trying to avoid the pricey boutique PU's, budget is less than $200 USdlls. for both PU's.
    I'm planning to use the guitar for blues,jazz and occasional rock sounds.
    Any opinions?

2. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

I have an Echotone, and think the pickups are OK, but I'm considering something else as well, so I'll be interested to see what kind of response you get. I'm looking for a lower output that would be suitable for jazz/blues.

3. rjsc5

rjsc5 Member

Duncan Seth Lovers? YMMV

4. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Yeah, I put in a pair of Seth Lovers in my Echotone. $50 each used.

Still not 100% happy with the bridge tone though honestly, I almost never play it on its own in that guitar.

5. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

6. G Man

G Man Member

I dropped a set of Gibson Classic 57/57+ pups in my MIK Ibanez 335 knockoff and they sound killer. I should also note, however that I also swapped out all of the junk electronics for good stuff at the same time. Made a huge difference.

7. dnrohr

dnrohr Member

My greatest guitar regret is selling a cherry finish, solid-top echotone. The previous owner had installed a set of Fralins. Sounded great.

8. tamader74

tamader74 Supporting Member

....I sold my Echotone to a friend ( thin neck issue with me, FINE 'git) and all he did was swap out the electronics....and the Instrument came to life...He also commented as to the exceptional quality and build of the 'git in itself.........

9. piloto117

piloto117 Member

I'm taking note guys... Please if you can describe a little bit more the things that you like and don't like about the pickups would be great! Thanks!

10. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I can't comment as mine was purchased used and came with Duncan Designed pickups. Perhaps they were original (I don't think so) but the harness had been cut and spliced back into.

As far as the Seth Lovers, I'd probably have to say they are the de facto choice in such a guitar unless it's a Gibson. The neck Seth Lover... I don't know that you can do much better. Different perhaps, but not better. The bridge... I had a Seth Lover bridge in a solid body guitar and really grew to love it. In the Hamer, it has a certain nasal quality... maybe someone would say 'honky'. It sounds great on the middle position for dialing in a more lead/gain friendly tone but I'm not crazy about how it sounds by itself.

Other pickups I'd at least consider putting into the bridge position would be a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary or the Duncan Antiquity. I think the 36th Anniversary is a great modern update on the PAF type design. I've not had one in a semi or full hollow body, but it gets into modern rock type gain tones more believably than the Seth Lover, 57 Classic or Burstbucker 2 in my opinion.

Or I might even consider something quite a bit hotter such as an Air Norton. Some might say that would be a recipe for mud, but I prefer to think of it as 'full' and usually sounds great for liquid, sustainy lead tones. I'm just not sure how it would combine for that middle position.

11. piloto117

piloto117 Member

12. Thepilot

Thepilot Member

i have a samick 335 copy that i modded up. it was probably similar to the echotone (MIK 335 copy- could potentially have come from the same factory).

i swapped the pickups for lollar imperials (exactly $200 used), and then redid all of the electronics with RS guitarworks pots/wire/switch (used russian caps for a LOT cheaper).

my friends with gibson 335's get pissed when they play it usually. i have about 500 bucks into the whole thing and it is a killer instrument.

the imperials are nice and gutsy. they cut well without getting thin or shrill.

13. piloto117

piloto117 Member

After listening and reading about different pickups I've come to some conclusions of my own:

The neck pickup is "easier" to replace, a lot of them sound great, very few of them sound bad. I'm REALLY impressed with the Seth Lovers in this position.
    The bridge position seems to be a bit more problematic, some of them sound harsh, thin, lifeless and others seem a bit muddy or too dark.
    I'm looking in ebay and they're seems to be a good variety of used boutique PU's. I might just have to wait a little longer and see more choices.

Thanks guys!

14. piloto117

piloto117 Member

Just wanted to update the post by saying that I decided to go with the SD Seth Lover for the neck and a Dimarzio PAF Bridge 36th Aniv. for the bridge. I already installed the Seth Lover and it sounds amazing! Thanks for the tip Cratz! I'm still waiting for the Dimarzio to arrive. Thanks again guys!

15. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I'd say that's a near perfect combination and whoever recommended it is surely a genius!

:p

Enjoy your new guitar, mate!

16. piloto117

piloto117 Member

Another update for that bridge pickup. I installed the Dimarzio 36th aniv. PAF bridge pickup for the bridge position. Not to put down the pickup but I liked the Seth Lover much better. The Dimarzio shines more with distorted sounds than clean tones, and it's a very balanced pickup from a frequency POV. It has a tight bottom end that doesn't mud up, the mids are rich and present but not overpowering and the highs are clear without becoming brittle or icepicky. However, it "feels" a little bit on the polite side and I don't want to use the word "stiff" but it lacks some of the "lively" dynamics of the Seth for example. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that it's potted vs the Seth which is unwaxed. Which ironically, is a little bit more microphonic than the SL, probably due to the fact that it's slightly hotter. Still there are some great tones to be explored and played and basically what I got is what I was looking for; which was a guitar to play blues, jazz and rock sounds.
    Thank you all for your input!

17. djw

djw Member

I went with a pair of 36ths in my Echotone, been very happy with them. It's my first semihollow, so I am not as particular about how it "should" sound as I could be, but I love them. Definitely brought the guitar to life, and all I did to the electronics was replace the volume pots with some StewMac CTS pots. I sometimes think about tinkering some more, but whenever I plug the guitar in I feel like any improvements I could make would be splitting hairs at this point.

I like how they sound, they're pretty open but have a decently firm core tone that matches the guitar really well. They're responsive and I feel like I can get a lot more out of the guitar now. I liked them enough to get a pair for my SG. :)

Thing about the Echotone is you want to keep the upgrades cheap or it starts feeling like an unwise investment. That said, I really really like mine! I do fantasize about getting a more refined 335-style guitar, if only to get the same character with a 24 3/4" scale; but I haven't found one yet that makes me as happy as my Hamer. Who knew?

18. Sensates

Sensates Member

I tried a few pickups swap in a similar guitar (335 copy, maple body/neck). First it was 36th aniv. PAF bridge/Air Classic neck, then 59n bridge/Seth Lover neck. I would agree with your views on the 36th aniv. PAF, I even found it abit nasally on cleans, not what I wanted in a 335 guitar. The Duncan set works for me, although I should have switch them around as I really like the Seth Lover bridge and 59 neck on another guitar.

earthmud likes this.