Suggestions for new tuners???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by lookslikemeband, Apr 29, 2005.

1. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

I have a PRS SE that doesn't stay in tune NEARLY as well as my other Paul Reed Smiths (CE-22 and HBII).... (obviously waaaay different guitars!)

I'm looking for more of the locking tuners.... like Grover, Sperzel; etc.

Any suggestions??

Thanks.

Lance

2. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

If you use the tremelo aggressively locking tuners could help. Sperzel are my favorite, but Grovers and Shallers are good too.

If the tuning problems are present without any tremelo use, tuners are essentially irrelevant to tuning problems provided the strings are properly strung.

99% of the time tuning problems are caused by the strings binding in the nut slots.

3. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

Yeah, but I don't use the tremolo. I use the stopbar tailpiece.....

But seeing that it's a " cheaper" guitar, the tuners aren't that great.... I need something a little more "pro" quality.

Thanks!

Lance

4. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

My bandmate put Grovers on his Epi LP which also wouldn't stay in tune and it made a world of a difference. No need for locking tuners with a hardtail, just quality regular ones, IMHO.

5. hipfan

hipfan Member

Get that nut checked out first! :) Even today's cheaper tuners should do at least a serviceable job of holding the strings in one place. It's likely that the nut on your guitar is cut sloppily, or just improperly for the string gauge you are using. A decent tech can adjust the nut slots (or install a new bone or Tusq one), and it might resolve all of your problems.

If you still want some new tuners, I'll second the motion for Sperzels. Both kinds (Trim-lock and Sound-lock, I think) are really nice. They weigh a lot less than Grovers and allow your guitar to resonate in a little more lively fashion, IMO. They tune up nicely too.

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I've used most of the tuners on the market (except the LSR) and they all perform better than the cheap ones.

I like the Planet Waves, simply because it cuts the strings for me and I'm a lazy sob. The black posts might be a turn off for some and the peg hole will probably need to be reamed.

The Grover cam lock doesn't work as well as some others, still better than the cheap stuff. I have none locking grovers that are very nice though. But had one with a burr on the gear. Quality is hit and miss.

Sperzel are very nice. My only complaint with them is the satin finish doesn't match anything else on the market.

Schaller are a notch below Sperzel but still better than others. Their bridges, on the other hand, I dislike.

Steinberger gearless tuners are good for putting extra down force on the nut, since it pulls the string towards the headstock. They don't cover up where the old tuners were removed and require a pin hole on the front of the headstock. They look better on some guitars than on others.

Gotoh are also pretty nice, maybe a notch above Grover in my experience.

7. hipfan

hipfan Member

You can get them in nickel or chrome now from certain retailers. All of mine are shiny; I don't like the satin thing either.

They also sell "ivoroid" and "pearloid" buttons for an upcharge. I have these on a couple of guitars, and they're great! They make an already light tuner, even a little lighter.

8. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

Cool guys. Thanks!

I think he's ordering me some Sperzels. I can't wai! I love upgrading guitars like this!

:dude

Lance

9. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

Does anyone have any opinions on the vintage tulip tuners from Grover. There 14:1, is that high enough for easy tuning?

10. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Member

IMO, after playing with just about every tuning key brand and type on the market, when it comes to locking tuners the best rear lockers are 16:1 Schallers and the best top lockers are 18:1 Grovers. The Schaller company is in a bit of turmoil, and it's getting tougher to find any of their tuners, and so for rear lockers the 18:1 Planet waves are a decent substitute for me.

IMO, the absolute Worst locking tuners are Sperzels. They're a low ratio (12:1 at best), the locking wheel is poorly designed and tough to get leverage with yer fingers, and the overall tuner design and matters is lacking - I replace at least one customer's set of broken Sperzels each month.

All the above tuners employ sealed cases. "Vintage" style tuners are not sealed and are typically 14:1 or 15:1 in ratio and by their design aren't typically as smooth as a quality sealed tuner. I prefer a sealed tuner - why mess with Mother Nature when ya don't really hafta?

YMMV.