• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Suggestions for RAT clone.

superbird

Silver Supporting Member
I am looking for a good distortion pedal for my Vox AC15HW. I have the OD covered, i just need something with more dirt than my Timmy. I have read that the Rat pairs up well with a Vox, i know i can get a normal Proco Rat but i wanted to see what clones rated highly here at TGP. I have been looking at the Freakshow Brown Rabbit and CMATmods Ratified.

Any suggestions on these two or other medium-higher gain distortion pedals with my setup? FYI, i usually play a 1974 tele thinline or Sheraton II hollowbody.

Jules-RM

My favorites are the Hartman LM308 (clone of early big box Rats right after they got the filter knob) and the ProCo Whiteface Rat Reissue. Both go great with my AC30. I've tried both of the clones you listed, but both came up really short on my rig.

If you can find a used Rat from the late 90s or before they should be fine as well. Turbo Rats also go great. Keeley modified go for more, but if you can find a good deal on one they are pretty good.

Make sure to put the Rat BEFORE your Timmy tho - in my experience they sound best before an on all the time OD.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
proco whiteface reissue is awesome but it has not led, weighs a ton, narrow sweet spot, is a funny shape - all the things we tolerate about those vintage pedals.

i have a brown rabbit coming in, my second one. should be fun. i liked the first one but sold to try other stuff. i never had it side by side with my reissue WF rat but i demoed it against a keeley and they were more the same than miles away.

if you can tolerate the little niggles about the whiteface or you have a looper, then try the reissue. i sold mine because the lack of a led on an overdrive pedal is far too much for me to handle :)

Braunzo

I really love my Whiteface Rat.

Blakemore makes a really nice Rat clone with a bunch of options. Really easy to tweak for as many options as it has. I played the prototype and I'm pretty sure he's close to releasing it.

I'm not much of one for absolutes, I hate saying this is the best and so on. I tried a couple and the one I chose was the Alpha Dog. I absolutely love that pedal!

Plus I have a Timmy and they work well together.

Telecasteur

I got one of the new Mooer Black Secret pedals.

This thing freakin rocks. Trust me, it's worth it. Especially if you can get it for $50 ebay best offer, like I did (1 month ago).

:beer

Godspeed64

VFE Alpha Dog is really good. If you can get one at a good price the White Face is awesome as well. Didn't dig the BYOC when I had it as it felt too tame compared to other Rats I've had. Currently I'm using a Mudhoney II which is based on a rat.

VFE Alpha Dog is really good. If you can get one at a good price the White Face is awesome as well. Didn't dig the BYOC when I had it as it felt too tame compared to other Rats I've had. Currently I'm using a Mudhoney II which is based on a rat.
I'm not much of one for absolutes, I hate saying this is the best and so on. I tried a couple and the one I chose was the Alpha Dog. I absolutely love that pedal!

Plus I have a Timmy and they work well together.

+1 for the Alpha Dog

popinvasion

walrus audio iron horse is the best i have heard. I also own a turbo and a whiteface. But I love the walrus audio.

Stratobuc

VFE Alpha Dog is a great sounding pedal - so versatile. Peter is a very good builder, and takes excellent care of his customers.

Trending Topics