1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for shim material

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by leftybill, May 18, 2011.

1. leftybill

leftybill Supporting Member

I need to raise the neck of a strat just about a 16th of an inch. The bridge which is the 6 hole design, is about as low as it will go. The action is a little high at this point.
    Any suggestions for a readily available source?

2. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

Usually business card stock.

Something about that offends my aesthetic sensibilities, but it works perfectly well and doesn't hurt sustain or anything in the way that one might think.

I prefer to go out back and take a plane to a piece of hardwood and take off a thin shaving. Very hard to get one thin enough. Even better to get one with a very slight angle that tapers just so. Takes a lot of tries, but it's a plane and you can make a lot of shavings quickly. That said, I've got two guitars with shavings and one with a business card and wouldn't know if I didn't remember.

3. Jan Folkson

Jan Folkson Member

I usually use some thin veneer or some 1/64 plywood. 1/16 is a lot for a neck shim.

4. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Fender uses coarse sand paper - like 80 - 60 grit. As a double use it doesn't let the neck slide back and forth. Yeah - 1/16" really isn't that much, but if you want good tight string pull with a floating setup you need that.

5. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Sandpaper or metal window screen strips. Both dig in & help to hold the neck from shifting. Card stock or thin plastic strips work fine too, but don't dig in as much.

6. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

re: shims

Don't shim the neck up 1/16". Put the shim at the front of the neck pocket and slightly change the angle of the neck. Maybe this is obvious to some, but I know a lot of people that have tried the lift the entire neck.

If that little airgap bothers you, when you find the proper neck angle that makes you happy you can come back with a full length wooden wedge if you'd like.

7. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

My JV Strat body has an unusually deep neck pocket. I just put a 3/32" spacer in it a few months ago to allow enough clearance for a taller pickup.

I got both maple and alder from these guys:

http://www.coloradoheirloom.com/Wood Strips.html

It worked out great. The action is actually better than before (I used to have to set it really high to not fret out, I still like it on the high side though) and I have noticed no adverse effect on tone or resonance.

PM me. I could spare a sheet of each of you wanted to check it out.

PS: the maple even has a little flame!:)

8. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

Been there before, I took a piece of maple that was laying around, tapper sanded (almost 1/8 inch on one end to 1/16 inch on other), then cut to fit. Yea, it was bad.
    BTW turned out to be one of my best sounding and sustaining guitars I own. My 69 Tele has a piece of fibre board (pickup flat material) 1/2 wide in the pocket, factory original. It sounds great as well.

9. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Sandpaper has always worked for me. A little thickness goes a long way. The shim makes the neck kind of like a lever, so bumping the very end up a little bit moves the nut back more than you might think.

10. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

Before the local Woodcrafter shop went out of business and closed, I was able to procure a nice pack of veneer- in ash! Works great for shimming necks, and nuts for that matter.

11. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Yeah that should be all you have to do.

12. mannish

mannish Member

I use very thin sheets of cedar that separate the top and bottom layer in a box of cigars
    I am sure cigar shops would give you a sheet... enough to last forever

13. leftybill

leftybill Supporting Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I would have never thought of sand paper! I did find a hobby shop that had a 1/32nd strip of basswood. It seems to work nicely.