Suggestions needed for improving Multi-Fx unit

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by streetsweeper98, Feb 13, 2015.

1. streetsweeper98

streetsweeper98 Member

I know they don't get much love here, now that Kemper and Axe FX are out, but I just wanted to get peoples' suggestions on how to improve their old multifx units.

I recently bought a pair of Atomic FR passive wedges (the old 2010 version) & its 50/50 poweramp in stereo to try it out on my Vox Tonelab LE. It sounds great, but it also highlights the obvious weaknesses of the Tonelab - its thinness and somewhat fiziness on the distortion. I obviously will have to tweak the Tonelab (as with any multifx unit). But I can't help thinking there must some pedal-based solution to fattening up the sound.

Would an equalizer, compressor, speaker emulator, or tube-type overdrive pedal do the trick? I've read that Radial’s Dragster is good for getting back some of the guitar tone that multifx units are known to suck. I'm not sure, though. I've looked at the Harmonic Converger and I can't really justify the price for such specialized piece of gear (a pedal specifically for improving the shortcomings of another pedal). I know that at least with an equalizer I can also clean up the 2nd channel of my Tech 21 TM60.

I also have to bear in mind that I've got a stereo setup and would probably need to have something with 2 inputs and 2 outputs from the stereo outputs to the pedal and from the pedal to stereo inputs in poweramp. Or perhaps I could plug it in through the send/return at the back of the Vox. In any case, I'm not sure and would greatly appreciate anyone with some experience with multifx units and in particular the Vox Tonelab LE.