Suggestions needed for organic/transparent OD/Gain pedal

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
I'm looking for a good transparent/organic OD/gain pedal (or pedals) to use with my new 3rd Power Citizen Gain CSR head. I LOVE this head...best classic rock tone I've found in an amp in years. The clean channel is chimey and rich, and the OD channel has very light gain all the way to near metal (80's metal, at least).

What I'm looking for is a pedal (or two) that I can hit the amp with to take a basic crunch tone (in the OD channel) to more saturated (but still articulate) and then maybe another pedal to kick it into a pure lead tone. I'm open to suggestions of one pedal with several gain stages, etc. My playing style is stuck in the mid 70's-mid 80's...Foreigner, 38 Special, Blackfoot, Molly Hatchet, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, etc.

However, I don't want a pedal that fundamentally changes the feel of the amp. For instance, I have a Mesa Boogie Grid Slammer (which I have in the emporium for sale), which is their take on the venerable tube screamer, but it adds a pretty nasty low mid spike, regardless of how I have the tone set, and changes the natural amp tone from a bloomy, woody overdrive, to a harsher tone that sounds synthetic...does that make sense?

So, given that, what pedals should I consider that will work with my amp, not mask or change it, to achieve the above stated goal???

TravisE

Silver Supporting Member
Timmy or JHS Morning Glory for a low-gain, transparent drive. That said, a ZVex SHO would likely work wonders as well.

The Amp11 and Janray are just rips of the Timmy...might as well go with the dude that put in the work.

Timmy or JHS Morning Glory for a low-gain, transparent drive. That said, a ZVex SHO would likely work wonders as well.

The Amp11 and Janray are just rips of the Timmy...might as well go with the dude that put in the work.
Very true story. Support Paul C.

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
In the context of this discussion, what does "organic" mean?
Since I posted this, I guess I should define it. By organic, I mean that it doesn't affect the basic sound of the amp by adding unwanted compression, or too much of any of the total spectrum, that changes the nature of the amp's overdrive. I'm just looking for something that will kick it up a notch, and then even a notch further, whether that is done by two pedals, or one pedal with two stages.

stahlhart

Since I posted this, I guess I should define it. By organic, I mean that it doesn't affect the basic sound of the amp by adding unwanted compression, or too much of any of the total spectrum, that changes the nature of the amp's overdrive. I'm just looking for something that will kick it up a notch, and then even a notch further, whether that is done by two pedals, or one pedal with two stages.
Thank you -- I've seen the word used frequently with respect to guitar tone in recent years, but was never able to discern exactly what it referred to.

griggsterr

Gold Supporting Member
I have had a couple of Timmys, and 3 Morning glory, I don't get all the support paul C thing. Is he dying or something?
having played them into a large variety, and I mean a large variety of amps.
the Morning glory is the most truly transparent of the 2. The Timmy is a very close 2nd.
But hey there will soon be 70 other guys flaming about everything from beer to budapest, so what do i know?

Trending Topics