Suggestions on Dual OD/Dist Stomp Boxes?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Frank Lee, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Member

[FONT=&quot]This year, I really want to work out and finalize my pedalboards...you could say it's my New Year's resolution. And on every angle, but one, I'm pretty sure I know which direction I'm going in…But that one…boy is it balls breaker...

Getting to it…I'm looking at dual overdrive/distortion units, and I want to make sure I'm considering everything before I pull the trigger on something. Could I ask for your input and your suggestions?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](And yes, it has to be a dual unit…I wish I could say it doesn’t…but alas, it does.) Both sides also have to be independent…no channel switching. I want to be able to go straight to O or straight to D in one motion.

Right now, my best is the Wampler Hot Wired v2 (which I’m currently using), and I do like it a lot, especially its overdrive side (which I'm using as my lead tone, when I want to go from clean or light-breakup to lead).

But for some reason, I haven't been as enamored with the distortion side as I'd like to be. The D side is Marshall in character, which I do like, but it only seems to really shine when I stack it on top of another overdrive (like a Boss BD-2, Way Huge Pork Loin or Way Huge Saucy Box, all of which I use as soft-clip, light-breakup boxes, positioned before the Wampler...and honestly, the Pork Loin seems to be the best of the three, when stacking.)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So, enter the top three alternatives…[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]First up is the JHS Sweet Tea v2. It’s pricey, but it’s really quite good. Its strong points are the inverse of the Hot Wired’s, though. Its D side is also very Marshall Plexi in character, and it sounds great without having to stack…though, of course, it stacks darn well, too. I’d say it’s the Sweet Tea’s more photogenic side. On the other hand, the O side sounds an awful lot like the Sparkle Drive Mod without the clean blend. Basically, it’s a modified 808 Tube Screamer…which is nice, kinda buzzy…but it’s an 808…Basically, it’s no where near as nice as the Hot Wired’s very natural, very organic O side, though…which as I’ve already said, I absolutely love. It’s also quite hissy-fizzy…which is one of the 808 circuit’s major drawbacks.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Second, there’s the Xotic AC+ Plus. (Rather than overdrive/distortion, it’s a dual overdrive or overdrive/boost, but its O side could easily function as a D and its boost side could easily function as an O.) It’s not as pricey as either of the previous dual pedals, and it shines exactly where the Hot Wired shines. Its boost side is very comparable with the Hot Wired’s O side…about equal amounts of very natural, organic overdrive with Bass, Mid and Treble controls (no dry blend, though). The only issue is that its true O side only sounds Marshally in character when using it with a Marshall or a Vox Night Train, and even then, it isn’t a compressed D sound…which is really what I’m looking for.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Third, there’s the Wilson Effects Stoned Grasshopper. (It’s a fuzz/overdrive/boost, but its O side could do the D side and its F side could do the O side.) It’s comparable to the Xotic AC+ Plus in price, and it’s very classic 70s in voice, but at the same time, it’s very natural. The OD is a modified, more transparent, quieter TS-9 with more gain. I’ve always preferred the TS-9 to the 808, and I like this one very much…again, it isn’t a compressed D sound, but I can’t find something useful beyond the Hot Wired and Sweet Tea that fits the original parameters (halfway decently, anyway). Its fuzz side is very late 60s[FONT=&quot]-[/FONT]early 70s Fuzz Face, with better blend-ability…i.e.: it's more transparent…chording doesn’t sound mushy. Basically, it’s a killer lead tone rolled back or opened up. Lastly, it also has a cool, independent third switch: a flat-eq-profile boost. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Those I haven’t tried…have you?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Butterfly Twin Peaks OD/Dist, FEA Labs Dual-Band Dist…and others (I’m sure).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Then, there are all of the alternatives that I’ve tried and weeded out for various reasons:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Wampler Dual Fusion Dual OD, Empress Multidrive Fuzz/OD/Dist, Pigtronix Disnortion Fuzz/OD/Octavia, Mojo Hand Harvey OD/Dist, TC Nova Drive OD/Dist, Bad Cat Siamese Dual OD, Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde OD/Dist and VS-XO Dual OD, T-Rex Mudhoney II Dual Dist & Alberta II Dual OD.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Finally, here’s the thing I’d love to see…a Hot Wired v3 (current OD side as it is with a Wampler Sovereign on the D side). Unfortunately, I’m not famous enough (nor possibly good enough) for a signature pedal, yet. :jo[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Any suggestions, comments, questions or general thoughts would be immensely appreciated. (Thanks for reading this ridiculously long post.)[/FONT]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Blackstone Mosfet

3. mkr1

mkr1 Supporting Member

Analogman King of Tone

4. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Member

Thanks Norjef! (fellow ill-noisian) I completely forgot about the Blackstone. Unfortunately, though this little pedal sounds amazing, I have two issues with it.

First, it has a channel switch rather than independent O and D switches. And sadly second, it has those flat-head screw knobbies. The first kinda kills me as I often go straight to O or straight to D, depending on the song. The second kinda kills me as I want to be able to stack in one song (from light breakup to light breakup + D in one song) and go straight from clean to D in the next song. (I'm totally cool with fiddling w/ knobbies between songs.) It keeps my pedalboards smaller and more manageable.

Ideally, I want to run no more than two dirts (one of which being a dual dirt) plus a boost on any one board. Board 1 is Pork Loin -> Hot Wired -> Mad Professor Forest Green Comp. And, board 2 is Wampler Ego Comp -> Tech 21 Tri-AC -> Boss Blues Driver.

And ultimately, it's the old Tri-AC that I'm trying to replace. (Right now, I'm thinking about shifting the Pork Loin and Hot Wired to board 2, while getting something a little better than the Hot Wired on board 1. Once I find that replacement pedal, I'll figure out the stacking issue: soft-clip being pre or post and whether it'll be a Boss, a Way Huge, a Voodoo Labs, a Nobels...whatever's clever.)

And thanks mkr1! I've never heard of the Analogman King of Tone. Based on the demo video I just watched...the King is a serious contender...kinda Klon on one side, kinda OCD on the other. Not too shabby. :)

5. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

The Blackstone s a versatile and dynamic pedal. Using the Blackstone and you guitars.'s volume knob is a great combination.

You may want to lol into the Source Audio OFD.

6. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Kollmanation pedal. Great dual pedal

7. bluflames

bluflames Member

You've never heard of the king of tone? Or you're being sarcastic? I can never tell on the internet.

Fwiw, the king of tone is a great little number. Also worth considering its something like the mojohand magpie (I think that's the name, either that or the Odessa - the magpie might just be one side of it)

8. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Member

Thanks for all the suggestions!

And, no...I didn't know about the King of Tone before today. Now, I know it's one of the most hyped pedals out there, though. Apparently, it's as hallowed ("I'm not worthy") as a Klon, but I didn't know that before today :)

I haven't really cruised the gear pages...until recently. So my knowledge is limited to what I find in the shops and what I find on the boards belonging to those around me. (I'm also a fan of Pro Guitar Shops, as they demo a lot of things that are new to me.)

Kollmanation and Mojo Hand Odessa are also new to me. :) That's the reason I'm here...to find out about what I've missed. Many, many thanks!

And, absolutely jnepo1! That Source Audio stuff is mild-to-middlin' ridiculous...about as serious as a boutique Line 6.

9. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Newer version of the Lovepedal Amp 11?

10. smakked

smakked Member

Get an OD and a dist you like and put them in one enclosure ?

11. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

i know you weeded it out, but VS is working on a new V3 Jekyll & Hyde that should be out sometime this year

12. blues

blues Supporting Member

This and the Tchula will work.

13. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

King of Tone for sure. Rook Royale would be my second choice though. Both are great pedals.

14. .

. Senior Member

I recently picked up the Lovepedal Eternity Stack ET-ST. It fits the bill nicely.
    Right side is a nice vintage flavored low/medium OD similar to my Kanji Eternity, while the left is much more modern with significantly more gain. Stacks incredibly well also. I have mine with an Amp 11 gold in front, lots of stacking options. Not sure they are still available though.

15. bzss7x

bzss7x Member

Analogman's King of Tone is easy to recommend. It is incredibly versatile and covers a wide spectrum from clean boost to OD to distortion on both sides. Great sound and great design.

16. modernp

modernp Member

Barber burn unit.

17. scott944

scott944 Member

My main drive pedal, for 3 or 4 years now, is a Blackstar HT-Dual. Very versatile, T/M/B tone stack (plus the ISF control), cleans up great with your guitar's volume control, has a direct out... Even better now, since replacing the tube with a Tung-Sol.

18. .

. Senior Member

Also, the Weehbo PlexFace looks very interesting. Lots of tone options there. It's on my list. I'm up on the list for my KoT this month. Then I'll be getting the PlexFace. Brett Kingman demo here...

Watch Brett's face when he puts it on '57 mode...
    I recently got a Weehbo JCM Drive. It's dual, but more of an OD with boost. Right switch turns the pedal on to JTM, left side boosts it to JCM. Amazing pedal, just not two separate drives and non stackable.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Empress Multidrive. What a fantastic pedal!

[​IMG]

20. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Member

Wow again! I'm very glad I posted. I'm learning much.

Right now (in addition to the KoT), the Kollmanation, Weehbo PlexFace and Eternity Stack ET-ST are on my list of "must try" dual units. All four of them look awfully close to being the "silver-bullet solution."

And "holy hallelujah, Batman!" That Weehbo PlexFace looks to be as near perfection (for board 2...replacing the Tri-AC), from a distance, as dirt box could possibly be.

And thanks smakked! I've considered this. It would just be a matter of finding the proper person to build it. (And I do have a couple of thoughts as to the who and the what.)