Suggestions on Strat-style guitar?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by MaxBoogie, Sep 4, 2008.

1. MaxBoogie

MaxBoogie Member

I'm toying with getting a custom "Strat-style" guitar made... I like my G&L's and the Suhrs I've played. No experience with anything else.

Can't spend a TON of money, so no D'Pergo.... Suhr certainly has a decent reputation. Who else should I consider for a quality guitar along these lines?

TIA

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. Zane

Zane Member

3. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

May I offer a suggestion?

I would edit the title of this post to solicit opinions for quality Strat style guitars instead of asking what is better than a Suhr?

This type of post only provokes the haters.

Matt

4. XKnight

XKnight Member

I can only comment based upon my own experiences. I've owned Strats made by the Fender Custom Shop, Suhr, Gadow, Melancon and Grosh. Of all those, my favorite is Grosh. I like the worn in feel of the necks, the exceptional fretwork and the vintage tone. Suhr is great too, but has a more modern feel with the ones I've tried. There are so many great builders these days that it's easy to find a good one though. Good luck!

5. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

I love my Suhrs. I don't think anyone makes a "better" guitar, just different.

6. MaxBoogie

MaxBoogie Member

Well I certainly don't want to incite the haters! ;)
    Title changed...

7. keninsyr

keninsyr Member

Have tried and owned many and by far the best I have come across is a Grosh Retro Classic. Of course its just a personal preference but its based on my experiences looking for the ultimate Strat style guitar. My search ended with the Grosh.

8. cnardone

cnardone Member

what are you trying to get out of it? Vintage? Super Strat? Etc...Talk to Bill Chapin before making any decisions.

cmn

9. allman5

allman5 Member

Lentz SSL , Callaham S...........enough said!

/Bjorn [​IMG]

10. Boomer

Boomer Member

I'm in the Lentz SSL camp. I've owned Suhr, Anderson, Grosh and Fenders.

The SSL is the Strat that I've heard in my head for at least thirty years. I've never handled a neck like Scott makes.

Naturally, YMMV!

11. MaxBoogie

MaxBoogie Member

Oh come on, there's never enough said! :D

Lentz guitars look great, but not flexible enough in the design for me. For instance, I can't do 9" radius on the fretboard... I need 12", or perhaps 10" - 14" compound. Neck shape is another one...

The Callaham S is close... but again he's intent on that 10" radius fretboard...

So far, the Suhrs seem to be able to offer a design the way I want it...

But keep the suggestions coming!

12. polaris

polaris Member

Grosh fan here!

13. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

Yes for me it is Grosh by Gosh! But all the guitars brought up so far are great guitars. I have a knock around American made Fender Strat that I bought off craigslist for 300 bucks that I dearly love, so go figure. It plays as nice as any of the Fender Custom Shop rigs. But not as nice as the Grosh. Plus multiple Gibsons, not as nice a feel as the Grosh. As far as tone, I won't compare apples and oranges, individual guitars have each their own tone to offer. But still #1 is the Grosh by Gosh!

Best Regards,
    Steve

14. mprvise

mprvise Member

Though I'm in a cycle where I'm not playing strat style guitars much, my Tyler Classic is my "traditional" strat. Love it!

15. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

I would naturally suggest checking out www.stevensonguitars.com
    Ted is making guitars (s and t style) that boggle the mind. His custom options are pretty vast. And his proprietary features (neck joint, for example...) are both aesthetically pleasing and toneful. Jump on the bandwagon now. He's blowing up!

Steve

16. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

17. donostia13

donostia13 Member

When you say "worn-in" feel, exactly what are you referring to? Did you happen to own an oil-finished neck? I'd love to know the difference in feel between the oil and satin lacquer finish.
    I'll have to hoof it up to A-Sharp Music near Seattle soon, as that's the closest Grosh dealer...

Edit: Nevermind, I see your Grosh in the Emporium!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  18. mattc41

mattc41 Member

Scott will do a 12" radius now. I believe a few members here have such necks on their guitars. I'm pretty sure they won't do a compound though if that's important. I have a Suhr Classic that I love, but every time I play my Lentz HSL, I can't help but think I would love that same neck and feel in a Lentz SSL. Maybe someday :)

19. MaxBoogie

MaxBoogie Member

That's good to know... I guess all ya gotta do is ask! :)

One thing I've noticed is that most of these luthiers are offering SSH pickup designs! Is that really where people are headed these days? As much as I like the classic SSS design, I find I never use the bridge pickup alone because I don't like the tone... and that goes for the many bridge pickups I've tried.

On the other hand, I don't like any of the bridge pups on my HH guitars either even though I've tried many... So I don't think it would really make a difference if I went for SSS or SSH.... Hmmm.

20. codyj84

codyj84 Member

Gotta throw Rocketfire in the mix....especially if you dig the relic vibe. Mine was stolen not within this last month and I have already commissioned another to be built by Nick. Great guitars....period.