Suggestions please - Dual function pedal - what's in it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Burgs, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Burgs

Burgs Member

This thread may belong in the manufacturers forum and if so I apologize.

However...

A friend and I figured we'd have a go at building some useful dual function pedals. 'Useful' is a loose term for 'what we like and want' but we reckon others might enjoy using them as well if we can get it together to build a quantity of them. So far we've built a comp/boost; a fuzz/vibe with a circuit switch to change the order of the fuzz and vibe, and an OD/vibe also with the circuit switcher. This has taken us some time to do and we like the results. A lot.

We thought we might do a fourth pedal so we could have a bit of a 'range' as it were, but we're stuck in the ideas department. So I'm asking you. What would you like to see housed in a dual function pedal (probably the 1590BB) that hasn't already been done or needs to be improved? Anything goes and I think it would be reasonable to offer a freebie to the poster of the idea we choose to go with (once they're in production).

I'm not going to elaborate on the brand name or the circuits used as I believe that's a no-no here but suffice to say we think you'll have something to look forward to in the new year.

Thanks,

Burgs.

2. steinwand

steinwand Member

tremolo / phaser with tempo sync of both

3. jero

jero Member

fuzz + octave up

4. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

OD with a boost/delay function. Provide a great OD sound and the boost essentially adds a bit more gain and the beautiful, stadium-like guitar solo delay we all know and love.

5. tim boehlert

tim boehlert Member

How about a dual pedal that has a delay and a nice chorus on the back-end - these two pedals are usually used last in the chain, and would make a great two-fer! Adding tap delay would be great as well - for both!

Or, do a TREM/DLY pedal with tap delay settings on both!

6. Burgs

Burgs Member

Great ideas folks. Thank you. Keep 'em coming!

7. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Trem which you could add phase or modulation to-I've ALWAYS wanted something that could do that!

The idea being that you could set up a nice amp-style trem for subtle use but then kick the phase/modulation on top for more dramatic swirly stuff..

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  8. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

TS Clone + Boost

Just kidding

9. Burgs

Burgs Member

Hey Grant, it sounds like you and Steinwand are on the same track. This is an idea that we've been kicking around as well. Maybe we're on to something here... :)

10. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I think so Brett...

The Devil would be in the detail though!

11. 205

205 Senior Member

I think a versatile delay with a chorus that can achieve everything from subtle chorus to vibrato/leslie sounds and maybe a jack for an external tap tempo would a handy pedal to have after your two favourite drive pedals.

12. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Fuzz + Ring Mod
    Autowah + octave down
    OD + phase

DS

13. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

OD and Fuzz - Phillip Sayce uses a Fuzz Face and TS808 together - the 808 smooths out the fuzz I think. You could put an optional buffer switch ala MXR Si Fuzz in there too.

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've thought a lot about this, since I've been using Korg PME40x pedalboards for years (4 slots with interchangeable analog modules). The 4 that I can't live without are OD, chorus, delay and either fuzz or distortion. There're a million 2 function overdrive/distortion units so I'd suggest either OD or Fuzz into analog (or analog-like digital) delay, or chorus/delay.

15. Brad J

Brad J Member

any fuzz/dist/od with a Treble booster infront, or 2 treble boosters :AOK

16. Turiguiliano

Turiguiliano Member

:agree

17. Burgs

Burgs Member

Hmm. This is something I have thought about as well. In fact, I've asked the master (IMO) of this stuff, Erich from Dice Works, to build one for me. I just love his stuff. The Fuzz Epic he built for me is the final word in fuzz as far as I'm concerned.

But I digress..

So, at the moment, in my mind, it's a toss up between a trem/vibe/phase or the treblebooster/fuzz. Maybe both if we can stretch our resources. Which fuzz circuit though?

Let the suggestions roll on. And thanks everybody for your input, it's much appreciated. :AOK

18. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

For me it would be a low-ish gain OD - similar to a BB or Timmy - with an analog-ish delay after it. The ultimate rockabilly pedal! How cool would it be to have something like a BB and a CarbonCopy in the same box. Hmmm... now you've got me thinking...

19. Burgs

Burgs Member

Nice!

20. Brad J

Brad J Member

Yes, the age old question, which fuzz? :)

I'm partial to the bitey tonebender or maybe a germ fuzz face, seeing as a fuzz face and tonebender arent too far away from each other, maybe a switch to go between both?

I also like the Coloursound Overdriver..... you see, I'm not much help! :)

Might be a user customizable thing, choose your personal favourite....