Suggestions please on high gain combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by recto-robbie, Jan 23, 2008.

1. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Hello all,, I need your suggestions,, after buying and selling numerous different amps over the years im finding myself coming to a point where not in the too far future I see myself downgrading for a bunch of reasons, mainly needs, space and especially a growing family.
    Currently I own a Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce and 4x12 cab along with a Peavey classic 50 2x12.
    I have decided that I am keeping the Peavey because its my 3rd classic 50 and if I sell it, I know I will want to get it again. I like it, never has any issues, suits my needs well and is simple to upkeep.
    On the other hand, my Stiletto is simply amazing, very reliable, easy upkeeping but is honostly way overkill for my needs and by no means small. Therefore the Mesa will be going.
    What im looking for is a high gain combo,, in the 35 watt range give or take some. I have a hard time considering an amp that doesnt have the ability to produce its own quality sounding overdrive/gain. I play mostly rock and metal,, nothing brutal like deathmetal and never mess with dropped D tunings. I also enjoy a nice clean sound and the blues.
    The most important tone factor for me with this amp is the ability for high gain,, think 80's metal at the most.
    Im not one who needs only boutique gear and im leaving my options open to pretty much anything that suits my needs tone wise and is reliable.
    I have and use a bunch of nice pedals,, both boutique and run of the mill stuff. I really dont want an amp which I will have to totally rely on pedals for its only gain and I dont care for an amp that must be cranked and shattering windows to get its sound.
    I really would like to keep this amp under $1500 new or used.
    For reference ive owned mesa rectoverb, Mark4, f50, peavey valveking, marshall jvm410.

Sorry its so long,, and many thanks before hand for any suggestions you may have. THANKS.

2. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

3. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

does it have to be under 30 watts?? Because your'e probably not gonna get power tube distortion out of any high gain combo... we're talkin preamp gain, and in that case higher wattage is just gonna improve your clean headroom and bass response.

IF you get where i'm going with this... its 1x12 boogie territory. Simulclass?

5. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Ive thought hard about the f30 and realize I should have tried one when they wee in the stores. Im actually considering one craigslist.

And no it doesnt have to be under 30 watts. I would prefer above 25 watts and deffinatly below 50 watts.

And I catch your drift,, preamp gain is the route im probably gonna go. I also like to use my amps at relatively low volumes sometimes.

6. qwer

qwer Member

Mesa Express 5:25????

7. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

If you like the Stiletto Deuce, why not the Stiletto Ace in a combo ??

8. highgeer

highgeer Member

It's out of your price range, but the rivera Venus 65 would be perfect. I 1x12 combo sounds huge, but it sells for $2,500 new.

Mike

9. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Yea $2500 is out of my range now. I have thought about the Stiletto Ace, ive also tried it and compared to my Deuce it seems so bright it bothers the crap out of me.

10. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey recto-robbie,

I recommend either a Marshall 30th Anniversary 6101 1x12 combo amp or the Egnater MOD 50 1x12 combo amp. I own & use the Marshall 6101 combo amp and with its 3 channels, I'm covered from clean to high gain rhythm & lead tones.

Guitar George

11. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

The Mesa Express 5:25 is a good suggestion.

I just bought an Express 5:50 1 x 12" combo and can't get over how good it sounds, clean and dirty, and the fact that it sounds great at basement levels, even when set at 50 watts.

Set at 5 watts, the distortion is tighter and can be really cranked without getting too loud.

The 5:50 has a little less gain than an F50, but has a nicer clean sound and is way more flexible. It seems like an Express would have more gain than you'd need.

I played the 5:50 along side an F50 and decided to spend $400-500 more and get the 5:50.

I'm going to use it for the first time with my band tonight and plan on trying both the 50 watt and 5 watt modes.