Suggestions to fill final board space

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by truckin, May 21, 2020.

1. truckin

truckin Supporting Member

I have room for 1 more pedal my board, MXR Phase 90 sized (power jack on the side) or smaller. Currently my dirt consists of a Keeley Katana clean boost, Kingsley Harlot and muff style fuzz. With that in mind, I'm thinking I need to add something more gritty/cutting to get those 60s zep/stones/etc tones. Right now I'm leaning towards the Menatone Hindenburg Mini, but is there anything else I should be considering? Would there be overlap with the Hindenburg Mini and Kinglsey Harlot?

On the other hand, I'm considering an Analogman Beano Boost to provide a different EQ/boost for the muff and Harlot. Has anyone paired their Kingsley Harlot with a treble boost?

2. Jazzmaster60

Jazzmaster60 Member

Depends how you want to sound and what amp and guitar you use.

If I were to buy one of my 64 million pedals again it would be the Vemuram Shanks ODS -1 . I have a Page and Minsrel V 3 on my board . I love them and they sound great .
    I just step on my Shanks ODS-1 more

3. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

I keep a spot on my board, that I rotate different overdrives into, depending, on my mood or requirements.

YMMV

4. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Rosie fuzz gets my vote.

ChampReverb likes this.
  5. truckin

Thanks for the suggestion, I really liked the sound of that. Is it inherently dark/warm or can it get brighter/more cutting?

hippieboy likes this.
  6. truckin

I just worry there would be too much overlap between my Kingsley Harlot and the ODS-1. For $400 it's a big gamble, and I'm really hesitant considering the circuit's designer has come out with an updated pedal. I was eyeing that new Nordland but missed out on the last batch, again same concern with the tonal overlap though. I think I can dial in the Harlot to be very similar if not better based on what I'm hearing on Youtube and my experience with an ODR mini in the past.
    I should mention, I mainly play through Fender style amps.

7. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

The only tone control it has is a toggle switch with bass reduction or standard, so it is pretty much set on that range, however, you can get different sounds from it, using the bias which makes it a bit brighter but also splattery, it's a tone bender style fuzz.

Here are other useful videos

a bit mure splaterry

a bit brighter:

truckin likes this.
  8. truckin

I like the PT demo (what's new lol). I'm now between this and a Skreddy Hybrid Overdrive... hm. May I ask you how it stacks with your other drives? I remember I had a Pigdog MKII and didn't enjoy it for what I paid for it, it was kinda dark and quite difficult to control.

9. Pope Murphy

Pope Murphy Member

I vote for leave that spot empty. Everything is okay, you don't have to put something there just because it's empty. Relax. Breathe.

truckin likes this.
  10. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

It's been a long time since I tried it, I didn't own the pedal but I liked it. Sorry I can't be of more help on that area. I have a Skreddy lunar module and it's an amazing fuzz, maybe not what you're looking for, however, just to say that I love Skreddy too!

truckin likes this.
  11. truckin

really appreciate the help. I'll have to do some more research.

hippieboy likes this.
  12. truckin

voice of reason