Suhr 1055 to Wilkinson vintage

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by proUK, Oct 26, 2005.

1. proUK

proUK Member

Hi, I have a killer Alder bodied Suhr Classic, that although I love, am considering changing the 1055 with Callaham Block to the new Wilkinson 6 screw Vintage trem that has arrived on my most recent JS guitar. I prefer the feel and general vibe of a 6 screw and am hoping it will add just a little more top end "zing" to the guitar without losing the fat low mids.
    Does anybody have any idea how it will effect the tone, before I let my tech loose on it!!

Thanks, all best

2. proUK

proUK Member

Thanks John,

I will try it, thanks for reply

Matt

3. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

Which 2 post are you referring to John? Thanks!

4. proUK

proUK Member

5. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Eyeballing it, it looks more like Gotoh spacing but who knows?

[​IMG]

6. stratofied

stratofied Member

Would this work as a replacement for a VS100 without modification to my guitar?

7. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I think that's the question of the day there. :cool:

8. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Oops, I guess I meant the spacing of the studs (Wilk vs Gotoh).

9. proUK

proUK Member

I won't butcher my guitar until you have given us the verdict on the 2 post Wilkinson! Think it could be the better option!

Thanks

10. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

I spoke to Trev (Wilkinson) on the phone and he told me that all the new vintage Wilkinson's are made in Korea and have the same mounting hole distance as any USA made Fender (not the MIJ or MIM). I'm not sure what the mounting hole distance is on Gotoh bridges though? They seem a bit norrower but maybe that's because the string spacing is narrower on the 1088/1055......

UPDATE: I called JHS (Wilkinson's worldwide distributor) and asked one of their techs to measure the post-to-post distance and the answer I got was 56mm, which means it's exactly the same as the all the 6 screw and 2 point Gotoh bridges (except the licensed Floyds).

11. Moat

Moat Member

Is there any verdict in yet on these 2-post Wilkinsons? I've been scouring the net for a place to buy one (the WV2SBCR), but no joy. Dyin' to give one a spin, tho. Seems like a great possible alternative for adding some vintage "vibe" to a 2-post Strat, for not too much $$.

Dang! :( Slop-free push-in arm, too. Arrgh!

12. Moat

Moat Member

Anybody... on where to buy one of these?? :confused:

13. proUK

proUK Member

I took the plunge and got Charlie at CCGX to remove the 1055 and replace with the Callaham. He did a great job, and it is rock solid, stability and tuning wise.
    My first thoughts were the bridge sounded a little thinner than the 1055, which I have always found fat but slightly muted sounding, but after having removed all the paint finish on the block, the sound seems to have changed for the better. The guitar still has the overall fatness which I was concerned about losing, but has sonically opened up, and has made it sound like a big greasy Strat...which is a good thing.
    Was a bit of a gamble, and hasn't changed the sound dramatically, but has opened the guitar up...but it was a very good sounding guitar to start with.

14. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

I recently picked up a new Suhr Classic sportin' a Wilkinson 6 Screw Vintage bridge and am loving the feel and sound of this guitar.:RoCkIn

For me, this Classic is the perfect combination of vintage and modern: alder body, (soft V medium) maple neck, 2-tone Tobacco Burst finish, 9-12" radius, AND the Wilkinson 6 Screw (bent saddle) bridge PLUS the awesome SSC System, BF, 6105 SS frets, and Sperzel Locking Tuners. The pop-in whammy-bar is GREAT and its "play" is nice and smooth...the guitar stays in tune (I know)...although I must confess that I don't use the bar much. For the last year or so, I've only been playing guitars with the Gotoh 1088...they're nice but I guess I had forgotten what a Fender-style vintage bridge sounded like! The Wilkinson 6 Screw Vintage sounds 'mo fat to my ears...I won't be going back.

:rolleyes:

15. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

How would the 2 point Wilk be better than the 1088?

I just bought the 6 screw Wilk for a new project, looks very well made

HJ

16. James Knox

James Knox Member

I also bought the new Wilkie Trem from GuitarFetish for my Parts-O-caster project - it looks very solid. Now that I have it, I am wanting the same bridge in a two-point config for use on my Fender American Deluxe alder body. I too, am waiting on word on where I can purchase one.

I could pay a luthier to pull the 2 bushings set into the Am Deluxe body, plug the holes, and then drill the holes for the new 6 point bridge OR I could purchase the retrofit bolt kit from Callaham for $40 OR I could get another 2 point bridge of some kind.

If I can not find one, I'll probably go with the Wilkie VS300 like the one used on most Tylers.

Anybody else facing the same scenario?

James

17. KLB

KLB Member

The new 6-post Wilkinson is an excellent bridge. I have a Tyler SE with the older Wilkinson bent saddle bridge with two posts. I would like to have the new style "vintage" Wilkinson bridge, with two-post mounting. I haven't found a source yet.

By the way, I will need a version with a bridge plate that rests against the posts with a knife-edge, not the one with two holes that the posts pass through as shown earlier in this thread.

18. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Hmm...this has me thinking....I have a fiddle on order with a 1055 (cus i like flat saddles on my right wrist) but maybe that's not the best tone option from what you say. my fiddle will be a basswood body/maple top/maple neck/fretboard. which wilkie will feel 'flat' (somewhat smooth) on my wrist, yet assist with a warm, rich, and 'quacky' tone? Is the 1055 not right? I'm not a heavy trem guy but would enjoy 'knowing it's there'.

thoughts?

19. Dana

Dana Guest

I'm interested to know this as well.

20. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Hey John!
    Is the 1055 a direct replacement for the 1088? No mods required I mean?