1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We've added some "new" guys to the moderator crew. All are longtime members that stepped up to the invite to help out by volunteering their time and effort to help the membership experience on TGP stay on the even keel. A special thank you to the 'new' guys that helping out. The new moderators are Mike Duncan, Stormin, ford, Teleplayer, and PurpleJesus A thread on the announcement is here!

Dismiss Notice

Suhr 56 Big V .880 - .980

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gregory70, Mar 19, 2006.

1. gregory70

gregory70 Member

So I just got my first Suhr Classic with a 60's C Vintage Standard .810 - .930, now I want to buy another Suhr slightly different specs. I might be interested in one with the 56 Big V neck carve, but I am worried about it being too big (I have smallish hands). I really don't have an opportunity to play it before I buy it. Can anyone compare the 56 Big V neck carve to a neck I might have access to? Is is like any Strat neck currently in production? I know some deluxe strats have v-shapes... Thanks.

2. oscar100

oscar100 Member

and teh V56 suhr is teh best neck i ever played - my favorite suhr neck and ive got/has all of tehm

its not so big when u play it somehow

so comfy

you wont regret it

:BEER

3. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

my new suhr has the brand new 50's roundback that john is offering & even though it's beefy, it's very comfortable.

4. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I also have a Suhr Classic with the '56 big V. I love it. It's not that big. It's very comfortable and I have small hands as well.

5. artandink

artandink Member

I have a Suhr Classic with a "Big V" too. It really isn't that chunky. Not nearly as "fat" as, let's say, a "fatback" or "boat." And while I'm at it, Suhr's "Fat C" isn't all that chunky too. I have a "Fat C" T as well.

Both are extremely comfortable. And I emphasize extremely.

I don't know why I don't see more of them out there.

6. gregory70

gregory70 Member

Just for comparison sakes, can anyone compare it to the v-neck on the current deluxe series? I have access to one of those.

7. telesquire

telesquire Member

.980 is fine......its .990 thats seems alittle too much for most folks.Its amazing how that .10 makes such a difference.Well to me anyway.

8. Srini

Srini Guest

My standard has an even C huge, and it turned out to be far less chunky than I anticipated. My Warmoth fatback is a lot fatter. The neck is a work of art, though - I have to admit.

Srini

9. gregory70

gregory70 Member

Well, having a proclivity towards impulse buying, I went ahead and bought my second Suhr Classic (about one month after receiving the first one). This one has the big V carve, so I am a little anxious about it's size (I got a 48 hour approval). Will let you know how it fits with my little hands!

10. Tomo

Tomo Member

Mine is

Soft medium V .860 -.940 - CUSTOM

I love it!

Tomo

11. gregory70

gregory70 Member

Well, I still plan to use the entire 48 approval period, but right now, I'd say it's a hit!

The neck is definitely different, particularly near the nut, but it still plays great with my small hands. There are things (I can't articulate quite yet) that I like about the Big V over the Vintage C and and an equal number of things I like about the Vintage C over the Big V. They are both great necks and both are very comfortable. I've AB'd the two guitars for the past 3 hours and noticed that if my hand got tired on one neck, the other neck felt great and was a refreshing change.

I need to spend more time with the new Suhr, but unless my hand cramps up on the Big V over the next few days, this guitar ain't going nowhere!

BTW - graphite metallic, what a cool finish!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. gregory70

gregory70 Member

What? No, "Wow! Those are some sweet lookin' Suhrs!"

13. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Wow, those are sweet looking Suhrs! ;)

Did you get the graphite one from Alpha music? If so I've been told that particular guitar is a special one. I almost bought it myself recently but decided to buy back one of my old Suhrs instead.