SUHR amps with Load, IR and Cab in loud band situations

Cap'n Lee

If you’d prefer to buy used and they are unavailable, but took an 8 hour journey to a store (expensive trip) with them in stock, why not then buy one in the store?
Or was the intention always to buy used?

If you’d prefer to buy used and they are unavailable, but took an 8 hour journey to a store (expensive trip) with them in stock, why not then buy one in the store?
Or was the intention always to buy used?
Initially I planned to buy used. And in case it won't fit I'd sell for little to no loss.

As there is no offering currently I considered new and as of pricing the Badger came into focus. I was able to play the 30 at a store closer to where I live and quite liked it.

Next step was to find out how the amps differ and if the 15 would suit my needs. Everyone here was very helpful with the shared experiences and insight. In the end I wanted to check myself to evaluate and hear what resonates with me most. That's why I'm at the store now.

If I could find a used PT15 I'd probably go with it. But now I'm considering taking the 35 new from the store.

CaliCaveMan

Gold Supporting Member
Here we are... live from Session Frankfurt...

I played both heads side by side over a Bluguitar 1x12 Fatcab (the PT cab wasn't in the room). Guitar was a PRS S2 SC 594 as I didn't carried mine in.

View attachment 646500

These are the max settings I found useable on the PT15. Once any Channel Vol or Master goes above things become too much saturated for my liking. The Volume in the small testing room was quite high and might be enough with our drummer. For any louder environment I will need to make use of the RL and IRs.

Whereas the Badger 35 goes above from here and only gets more addictive to play. I just find the Badger with Gain past 6.5/7-ish becomes over saturated and I'd probably put a pedal in front instead. Does anyone know how tight the Badger remains with the Eclipse upfront? I'd want to avoid the fuzzyness unless opted in with a pedal.

I think the Badger 35 still has the nicer clean tone for my liking. The PT15 comes very close. It's just a tiny bit smoother in tone and feeling. Anyways, great clean channel as well on the PT.

I can't make a proper buying choice right now. It was good to hear and play both.
I feel either I will have to accept the limits of the PT15 and benefit from it's small all-in-one package.
Or I'd go the more traditional route and accepting I might need more stuff to carry around (pedals, loadbox) and benefit from it's flexibility and headroom.
If money wouldn't be a limit I'd take both...

You were all right: I can't go wrong with any of these. Now it's hard to come to the choice and start playing out again!

Cool man, yeah both amps are really great. Something else you could consider for the PT15 is using the DI out on the built in load and slaving to another power amp like the Fryette PS100. You would have plenty of power for anything outdoors then and it’s compact.

Sounds like you are leaning on the Badger, but get a RL IR so you can get good mic’d setup for monitors/ in ears.

Cool man, yeah both amps are really great. Something else you could consider for the PT15 is using the DI out on the built in load and slaving to another power amp like the Fryette PS100. You would have plenty of power for anything outdoors then and it’s compact.

Sounds like you are leaning on the Badger, but get a RL IR so you can get good mic’d setup for monitors/ in ears.
Yes, I was about to carry out the 35 MK II. Unfortunately their system was wrong about stock and so I left without the amp but lots of impressions.

I will probably take a RL (non IR) and cover the IRs within the HX Effects. I like to dial in a Room IR in parallel to the Cab IR as I'm used to it from my OX (which I will then be selling). I also like the fact it runs without extra power supply.

gman1951

Gold Supporting Member
I'm in a 13-piece horn band that can get Very Loud! I have a few killer amps that I could use for gigging but, for the past few years, I've been using a PT-15IR exclusively and it has never let me down! I will alternate cabinets between a Mesa Widebody 1x12 (loaded with an AlNico Cream) and the Suhr PT 2x12 (replaced the GB with an AlNico Cream), depending on the gig. The amp is very versatile, light, and sounds absolutely incredible with either cabinet! This is, without a doubt, the best sounding, gig-worthy amp I've ever owned (and I've owned a few). And don't let the 15 watts deceive; it is a Loud 15 watts!

Now, the interweb is a great place. More so is TGP with all of your good advice and experiences shared on these particular amps - so, thank you again!

After my trip to the store I was thinking back and forth and what to do. I had two scenarios on my mind: a. Badger 35 MKII new + Eclipse + RL or b. PT15 I.R. used...

Well, this is what happens when you meet awesome people at TGP who are tone enthusiasts and you have really good and trusted conversations with:
IMG_2086.jpg

I was additionally thinking on a loudness solution... maybe it's not the loudness that might lack in the end. It's maybe more so the consistency in the room/on stage. So before investing in a bigger cab and/or a Powerstation I'd rather check the Deeflexx first:

Last edited:

Top Bottom